It's time...finally..Can you help me? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:32 AM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

It's time...finally..Can you help me?

Perhaps this is the only place in-which I can be understood: I am a 30 year old guy from Milwaukee, WI living in Los Angeles and ever since I was young, I've been in love with the D-90s. My friends would dream of Ferrari's and Lamborghinis, but I would dream of Defenders. However, throughout my life I could never afford them and my dreams were just that, dreams. Now time has passed and I have worked my ass off puking on crab boats, eating rats on Fear Factor, and surviving Alaska's -40 cold in hopes of fulfilling my dreams. Through all this hellacious work I couldn't forget that siren song of the square beast that drove my soul. Everytime I see a 90 my heart races and my palms get sweaty (it's the same feeling I had before I lost my virginity, but this will last a whole lot longer)...I may never fall in love, i may never get married and I may never have a kid...but I am ready to take that step and adopt my first child...A NEW 90

With this in mind I would love any advice you seasoned Defender guys could offer me. Or a lead on a car would be awesome

My Dream Car Would Be A:
D-90, ST, Auto (i've got a bad knee from all my work and play) with Military Seating. My ultimate plan was to paint it G4 orange so, I wouldnt mind a little body damage either as long as it was mechanically sound.

Price range about 25k

Thanks everyone in advance...I look forward to being part of this forum as a fellow D90 owner

Josh
me@joshsilberman.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Contact mlorman on the board here. His truck will be for sale in a few months we suspect. Or there's always mine. Search in the For Sale - Vehicles section.

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2011 08:07 AM ------

But ours are '95s, so you'd need to convert them to auto.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I think I watched you in that behind the scenes Deadliest Catch episode where you got super dehydrated. You need a thread just about that

Glad to have you here and you came to the right place for D-90 advice for sure.

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2011 08:56 AM ------

Also, by 'military seating' do you mean rear side facing seats?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Yeah the Bering sea sucks, spent many weeks watching you guys fish (from a Coast guard cutter, I drove the dinghy that dropped the Law Enforcement Officers on the Crab boats). Met most of the guys at one point or another. Some I even met in Adak, AK. At least you had the Elbow Room to look forward to.

Anyways, back on point. Good luck with your search. There are a few guys on the board that might suggest you explore the possibility of getting a ROW (rest of world truck). For about the same money you can get a diesel, painted in G4 from people like Mike (user Rivermike, look in the for sale section at some of his post). Doug (user 130tdi) can assist also.

The ROW trucks are a little bit of a pain to register in California but it has been done.

I know Mike does great paint work (the RIGHT way), and I have only heard good things about Doug and his services. Your diesel will get you 23+mpg and the gas truck will get you about 11.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Hi Josh and welcome to the forums. It sounds like you'll fit right in here

Even though you say you don't mind some body damage, be sure to get one with a good cage - the foam parts are very hard to find (and expensive if you do).
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:03 PM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

Thank you guys I appreciate the help. To answer some questions. Yes that was me on deadliest puking my guts out on the Cornelia Marie. That was tough, almost as tough as finding the right defender. Also yeah by military seating I mean inward facing seats...I wasn't sure what they were called. One question though, can I import a row diesel truck if it was a 97?

Also if the rumors are true and they are going to reimport the defenders in 2015 with tata motors assisting. What would that do to the current nas defender market?
Old June 2nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

25 years old on the import. in 2014 the Defenders are probably going to look quite different
Old June 2nd, 2011, 03:13 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
im in orange county and on a hunt for a 110 defender so mine might be up for sale in the future - its a 95 and stick but ill let you know - have a 1964 sankey trailer to go with it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo May 24, 11 35 14 AM.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	39302  
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

So I found a beauty...or what I think could be in Birmingham..Is there anyone you guys could recommend that I could pay to go look at it for me? thanks

me@joshsilberman.com
Old June 2nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
post it up here. Chances are we've seen it before or know if it sold a few months ago since I'm assuming you're talking about AdventureMotorCars.com / Landroversforsale.com?

------ Follow up post added June 2nd, 2011 05:51 PM ------

Forgot RedMountainRovers is there as well (rmr4x4 now), but I haven't seen them list any STs lately.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
disco dog
Tracy Dwyer
2002 D110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by silby32;
With this in mind I would love any advice you seasoned Defender guys could offer me. Or a lead on a car would be awesome

My Dream Car Would Be A:
D-90, ST, Auto (i've got a bad knee from all my work and play) with Military Seating. My ultimate plan was to paint it G4 orange so, I wouldnt mind a little body damage either as long as it was mechanically sound.

Price range about 25k

Thanks everyone in advance...I look forward to being part of this forum as a fellow D90 owner

Josh
[EMAIL="me@joshsilberman.com"
me@joshsilberman.com[/EMAIL]
Good Luck with your search. These guys are very helpful and know these truck. If your willing to shell out 25 K you should end up with a nice clean truck, so dont paint it orange, you will never hear the end of it. Look in the 15- 19 range if you are going to paint it anyway. I say this because it sounds as if you have busted your ass for the cash, and when the table turns you will not get 25K for a off color painted truck from anyone on this site. Also maintaining one of these properly is not cheap either, so consider this before spending a bundle, there are plenty of ROW Defenders that would fit your needs just fine.
Hey, my 2cents.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
nwp
Nathan Patterson
1994 D-90

I have done business with Stephen from LandRoversForSale. He's a good guy and a real Defender enthusiast and driver. The inward facing seats are called jump seats. That's no big deal to convert. I'd think about things like engine wear, transmission, winch, suspension you want, new door hinges if they are rusting, etc. The list is long once you start the adventure. Be warned that painting one of these is expensive. Lots of exposed paint on the interior so find someone who does good work. Rest assured that you are in the right place for advice though. The guys on this forum are fantastic.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 07:47 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by silby32 View Post
Is there anyone you guys could recommend that I could pay to go look at it for me? thanks
Post it up and chances are someone will be close by. No reason to pay anyone really. It happens often.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:26 PM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

I should probably be working now...but I can't stop researching, I was up all night trying to find the right car and not the car right now. You guys are right, I was looking at Mike's site and he seems like the best option for what I want. I think the ROW truck in diesel would be awesome. Have you guys imported anything from him? is it hard to title in California? In the meantime this is the truck I was looking at. It's at Red Mountain and I've been talking to the guys over there. They are really nice guys, super helpful and informative

I was looking at this truck: http://rmr4x4.com/web/1178/vehicle/6...-Defender%2090
I did a ton of research and at 3am found that It's salvaged because of the damage done here: http://www.autobidmaster.ca/carfinde...ATE_OF_TITLE_/
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Kudos for doing a lot of the search on that one yourself. Roving_Beetle from here had seriously considered that one as well (but then again he's considered every truck that has ever come up for sale I think), and backed away because of the salvage issue. RMR has had that truck for well over a year at this point if I recall. Salvage sucks, but can be a great mechanical truck. From a resale value I'm not sure if repainting it G4 orange would depreciate its value more than salvage would, though. To give you an example of what we're talking about with a specialized color like you've chosen as your repaint, check out this truck...it had been for sale on craigslist / cars.com and the like for many months before he posted here and still took months to sell.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=30397
Old June 2nd, 2011, 09:55 PM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

I'm actually not really all that concerned about it's resale value. I just want a truck that keeps me looking at it in the garage for an extra 5 minutes before I head upstairs. I'm having a mechanic look at it tomorrow to see if the truck is mechanically sound. However, since you guys told me about rivermike i'm thinking about backing off and waiting to talk to him. If he could build a ROW diesel in the Fire edition that would be amazing! As long as I don't pay 25k for it to get stuck in customs
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
globallanrovers was building a sweet orange truck a few months back. He's more expensive, but builds some amazing trucks as well.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=26993
Old June 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by silby32 View Post
is it hard to title in California?
Josh,

Diesels in CA are a touchy thing. I'm just down the road here in SD and succeeded in getting my ROW 300Tdi Titled here in the smog-crazy world of California. It boils down to getting the right people at DMV to help you out.

Here is my thread about the experience:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=29616

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted