Help Buying a D90! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Help Buying a D90!

So I'm going to Europe (mainly Italy) for some time, and I want to buy and ship back a 25+ yo D90. I've already looked into shipping and importing it, but any advice on specific engines, years (has to be at least 25 yo), or problems I should look for would be great. I've found a ton of diesels, but do you think I'll be able to get parts in the US for it should I have to service it? Anyone have any experience doing this? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameaneh View Post
So I'm going to Europe (mainly Italy) for some time, and I want to buy and ship back a 25+ yo D90. I've already looked into shipping and importing it, but any advice on specific engines, years (has to be at least 25 yo), or problems I should look for would be great. I've found a ton of diesels, but do you think I'll be able to get parts in the US for it should I have to service it? Anyone have any experience doing this? Thanks.
search here as there are plenty of opinions to review. currently there are several discussions around what is or isnt legal and there have been plenty of land rovers held at port as of late. if you stick to 100% original 25+ yo vehicles you should be fine. outside of that you may be rolling the dice a bit and i doubt anyone can really guarantee the outcome.

clay
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Thanks... I'm only looking at 100% original > 25 years old. I am not trying to skirt anything. I'm really just curious as to what I should look at to make sure it's a quality D90. Are there certain years that are better than others? Are there common issues with certain ones, etc? Think I'll have a problem obtaining parts for a tdi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:16 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

There's more info on here than you can imagine to address your questions. Before I bought my D I spent hours on here searching and learning. It's time we'll spent.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 06:27 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
I think your engine choices will be limited to the 3.5v8, 2.5na diesel and the 2.5turbo diesel. Tdi was not original to 1988 MY and prior 90's I don't think.

I personally think what you plan to do with the 90 should have a bearing on which engine you choose. Parts are not an issue. But if you plan to drive long distances and need to go modern highway speeds you should consider a v8 IMO. The other engines I listed are noisy, messy, require lots of shifting and they are slow.

In general all of the defenders have similar rust issues. Rust in the chassis, doors, bulkhead and floors, sills, etc. are the typical areas to be careful about.

Clay

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2013 06:32 PM ------

There's a 1985 90 with a 300tdi in the for sale section you might take a look at. It's already here and it has the coveted diesel lots of people seem to like.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:41 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Why fear a diesel? Yes, they are noisier. Yes, it may not drive 70 mph on the highway. But they get much better mpg.

My wife and I both love our Ninety with the normally aspirated 2.5D.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
I wouldn't describe it as fearful of diesels. I have both and in my opinion I would not recommend a noisy diesel if he needs to use it at highway speeds on a regular basis and hold a conversation occasionally with his potential passengers. That combo is not pleasant IMO.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:38 PM
nameaneh
Eddie
None

Clay thanks... I won't be using it for long distances at all so going 70 mph is fine. I have an old diesel Chevy K5 Blazer na, and it just can't cut it in the mountains of Utah, so I am afraid to try an na model. Has anyone driven one of the older turbodiesels?
Here is one that I've found... http://translate.google.com/translat...327765577.html

From my guess this engine is the 2.5 L 85 hp (63 kW) I4 Turbodiesel

Right now the dollar/euro exchange is really good ($1 = €1.29), and I have family in Italy so I'm hoping they can help me with the purchase. Thoughts?
Old April 4th, 2013, 11:02 AM
1of40
1of40

Registry
I've owned/driven the old turbo diesel too. Slightly peppier but nothing to write home about. I suggest you find someone in your area with one of these early diesels and drive it. I know my 2.5na struggles on the passes here in Virginia. She's 30 years old and only has 60k original miles but when the wife, two boys, the dog and a weekend of gear are loaded it aint pretty. She smokes like a train the whole way up. She's amazing on the trails and she's pretty to look at but I've got to call a spade a spade and tell you I'm not impressed with her ability to climb a mountian pass loaded. I'm not disappointed because I didnt buy her to do that on a regular basis. Just leting you know I have the impression the brits didn't design these to do what most of us may have assumed they can right out of the box.

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F4AD3925.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	69538  
Old April 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM
jwb
Jason
1988 110 CSW

Nameaneh, shoot me a PM. I drove down (from Germany) to Italy last summer and bought a 19J 110 with a rebuilt engine (crazy Italians!). It is my DD. I'm happy to discuss the Italian de-registration process (slightly painful) and things like ASI.

Cheers
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:29 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Lot of quality examples out there in Italy. Before importing it we took our 110 csw with 2.5NAD through the alps after we had parked it for almost 2 yrs. I had 2 days to go through it and make sure all was O.K.

The real steep switchbacks were interesting and slow (my wife had to give the all clear on most of the sharp turns due to needing the entire road). The truck plugged right along and long climbs was the only time I actually saw the temp gauge move the smallest amount. You get a lot of friendly waves from other owners, just not from the Italian police driving them. It was a priceless trip and make the most of the time you have out there and take lots of pictures. I am ready for another trip like this, enjoy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
90, buying, d90