Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 10th, 2013, 01:48 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Front radius arm

I've been working on putting D1 axles in my 90. I've got the rear in, but now I'm starting to think about the front. The donor axle came complete with arms and most of the steering, which I won't be using. BUT one of the arms, the left one, is bent very badly.

So does anyone have a late style radius arm? The D1 was a 1999.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:02 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Why are you installing the Discovery front axle anyways? There is no appreciable upgrade there... if anything you are downgrading the size of the CV joints, getting a (theoretically) weaker knuckle casting, and smaller brakes...
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:08 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Why are you installing the Discovery front axle anyways? There is no appreciable upgrade there... if anything you are downgrading the size of the CV joints, getting a (theoretically) weaker knuckle casting, and smaller brakes...
All valid points. The main things I was trying to gain are disc in the rear, 24 spline axles to make upgrades or trail spares easier, and the ability to run alloy wheels if I want.

My 90 is pretty old, so the brakes don't appear to be any bigger than the Disco, and if they are, I'll just swap them over. At some point I'll probably get later defender style calipers with vented rotors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
On teh rear axle, have you looked at what is there first? Many ex-MOD 90s have 4 pinion, 24 spline rear diff with heavy duty halfshafts. These are much better than Discovery axles.

As stated, you are putting in a weaker front axle. Both the early and late axles can be upgraded for the same cost, so I'm not sure what you are gaining.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:21 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

If you're looking for a strength upgrade to 24 spline you are not going to gain anything with the Discovery parts. The weak link in your current setup would be the open diff carrier. The weak point in the Discovery setup is the CV joint.

To upgrade the Discovery axle, you will buy a new diff, new inner axles, and new CVs. While still retaining the weaker hub and stub axle setup.

To upgrade what you already have, you will just buy a diff and inner axles.

If you want the cheapest way out, take the 4-pin 24 spline rear diff out of your original 90 rear axle, and install it in the front with new inner shafts. This would be the strongest open-diff front axle setup possible!
Old June 10th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, that is a good upgrade path on an ex-MOD with a HD rear axle.

1) Locker in the rear. Keep the stock halfshafts. They are pretty decent.
2) Put rear HD diff into front with aftermarket inner shafts. You are now strong enough for most people.
3) If you need more, then aftermarket rear shafts and CV joints.

I know a lot of people really want rear discs, but it will not make any difference to the braking performance. You should check and see what calipers are on the front. Depending on age, they may have the small pistons. Changing to the ones that are in 110s and most later 90s with the larger pistons is a good braking upgrade.

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:05 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes, that is a good upgrade path on an ex-MOD with a HD rear axle.

1) Locker in the rear. Keep the stock halfshafts. They are pretty decent.
2) Put rear HD diff into front with aftermarket inner shafts. You are now strong enough for most people.
3) If you need more, then aftermarket rear shafts and CV joints.

I know a lot of people really want rear discs, but it will not make any difference to the braking performance. You should check and see what calipers are on the front. Depending on age, they may have the small pistons. Changing to the ones that are in 110s and most later 90s with the larger pistons is a good braking upgrade.
Those are all good suggestions. I'll check for the 4 pinion diff in the old rear axle, to put in front. I'm still going to keep my rear discs axle, because I've already done it. And I HATE working on drum brakes. I'm not concerned much with if the discs will stop me better or not.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
OK. If you were comparing a normal car disc to a normal car drum, I would agree...

But 90 rear drums are easy to work on as they do not have self adjusters. It is certainly less work to overhaul them than with the LR discs as the hub needs to come off to service or replace the rotor.

Also keep in mind the Disco rear halfshaft are quite weak in comparison to the HD shafts on the 90. If you off road, take it easy.

Old June 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The Discovery (hate calling them "Disco") disk brake rear axle upgrade is nice because the brakes are easier to clean. Drums pack with mud and grit pretty badly under the right circumstances.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:22 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
On the flip side, d1 axles are cheap. You can pick up used HD 24 spline shafts from a D1 pretty easily. Same for ready to drop in regeared and/or locked 3rd members. Finding alloys or wheel spacers that simply fit over the D1 hubs is easier. You can buy brake parts locally, and get hub seals and other parts without having to decipher microcat.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

The "ready to drop in" third members will fit the 90 axles just as well.

Brake parts and seals are a no brainer as well, you just have to know what you have.
Old June 10th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, the seals are the same. The bearings are common. The brakes are the same as a Series LR, so cheap and easy to find. The hub bearings are spaced farther apart and stronger...

Old June 10th, 2013, 04:15 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There are "advantages" either way for sure.

FWIW (not much), I would swap in D1 axles if I bought one of these. But I'm biased, disco stuff I have already and I'm sure I could sell the take off parts to you guys. Assuming they hadn't already been swapped out for who knows what at some point in the past 25+ years, then painted red blue purple, or neon orange. If the truck came with Salisbury then it's a different story of course.
Old June 15th, 2013, 09:59 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
I guess I don't have to worry too much about the stuff I'm taking out. It's 10 spline.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3787009723.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	716.9 KB
ID:	74489
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Could have told you the old stuff is 10 spline. You tell just from looking at the hub. I've been down the exact road you are on. Is your truck RHD?

I swapped out the whole rear axle on mine because I was putting in 24 spline thirds with ARBs and none of the 24 spline stuff would work with the old rear axle.

On the front the 24 spline axles and CV's didn't work with the 10 spline axle's hubs and stub axles so I swapped out the hubs, stubs and spindles from the 24 spline disco front axle.

Couldn't put the whole disco front axle under the car since it was LHD and I didn't have a RHD knuckle to make it work in my truck.

Eventually would like to put my AEU2522 CVs back in there with some stronger 24 spline halfshafts. and ditch the spindly 24 spline stuff.
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:30 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Fortunately it's LHD, so my discovery front axle should bolt right in, well at least now that I have a new radius arm that's not bent.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any hidden treasures like 4 pinion rear diff with 24 spline axles before I recycle the thing. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the diff, as it should make a good core if I ever decide to get lockers.
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
if you are dtiching the stuff, keep the drive flanges, hubs and stub axles. and the front CVs might be the big AEU2522s which are nice to have. And you need those stubs, hubs, and flanges to use them.

can you post some pics of your old front axle? I might be interested in some of the parts off it.

thx
d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Fortunately it's LHD, so my discovery front axle should bolt right in, well at least now that I have a new radius arm that's not bent.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any hidden treasures like 4 pinion rear diff with 24 spline axles before I recycle the thing. I'm pretty sure I'll keep the diff, as it should make a good core if I ever decide to get lockers.
Old June 15th, 2013, 11:56 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
I haven't swapped the front yet, but I'll certainly post photos.

Could I just put the diff, axles, hubs, CVs, drive flanges, etc in the current hosing? I kind of like the idea of the less complicated non-abs swivel setup better than the new disco stuff. I thought I heard I couldn't do that though.
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
yup.

you can keep your axle housing, swivels, and knuckles. I had to swap a few studs over from the disco housing to the old one in order to fit the later diff. that was pretty easy to do though.
Old June 15th, 2013, 02:36 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
yup.

you can keep your axle housing, swivels, and knuckles. I had to swap a few studs over from the disco housing to the old one in order to fit the later diff. that was pretty easy to do though.
Well I guess I didn't need that radius arm I just bought.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted