Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old November 18th, 2008, 06:25 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
You guys and your motors. I'll throw out another option. Accept it's not a sports car and drive the thing as-is!
...or sell the Defender and get a beater hot rod Camaro. A lot easier to learn about cars and experiment with engine swaps on one of those.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it seems to me that if you are asking what 4.11's are and what a blower does, it is probably a safe bet that you simply may not have any idea how involved engine swaps can be. You could be letting yourself in for a big - and expensive - headache.

There are some really smart guys on this board who make a good living doing Defender engine swaps and diesel conversions.

The prices they get to do one of these conversions should give you an indication of just how complex a project it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2008, 04:34 PM
ZACHASS
DAVID YOUNG
1995 DEFENDER

Keep It Real Rover Real

maybe it's because I bleed green but I like making the best of what is there.3.9 is good enough for me.I tow mt 16 foot boat to the beach every weeked.I might be in the right lane but... I love it when pepole say ''what's in that?'' and I say JUST A ROVER V8!
Old November 19th, 2008, 08:34 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Dave....like your style
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
O.K 2 cents from the peanut gallery. If power is what you are looking for then you may want to try what I did on my 94 -
0. Advance the timing it will cost you nothing (3-5 degrees)
1. start with headman headers from summit - $170 bucks and get them ceramic coated.
2. Remove the plennum and go with shorter flutes in the stack to increase air flow to the engine
3. Consider going with a 4.2 ECU
4. Go with an colder air intake (yes you guys can snicker at my chop job but I can send pictures)
5. Consider going with a Mallory Unilite or a HyFire 6 (this is an easier swap)

so all told with the above you get to keep your engine and lets see
$170 headers, $100 on the shorter flutes, $50 on the K&N and 200 on the Hyfire 6. Parts - $520.
The Unilite will cost you more approximately $400?
Next you may have to add labor for T'ing into your old Y Pipe and not sure how much ceramic coating of the headers go for.
All of these things can be done in without having the truck down for more than a day exhaust work.
My Soft top has close to 300K on it and has plenty of power. I started with a stock a 94 and definitely have picked up some ponies .
Were the headman headers a direct swap for the cast headers? Any pictures?

Did you purchase the shorter flutes, or cut them? How much shorter are they?

300K on the 3.9L...very impressive!

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:14 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACHASS
maybe it's because I bleed green but I like making the best of what is there.3.9 is good enough for me.I tow mt 16 foot boat to the beach every weeked.I might be in the right lane but... I love it when pepole say ''what's in that?'' and I say JUST A ROVER V8!
dude, having lived in mt. laurel 90% of my life your towing your boat to the beach is not the same as driving a defender up a mountain not towing anything... I used to tow a 20 foot wellcraft excalibur all over nj and maryland with no problem, when i moved out next to lake tahoe i found out just how under powered the truck is, going up hill at 50 - 55 is a struggle, throw in some passengers and cargo and your a giant putput...

forget keeping it rover, the engine is the biggest failure of their design teams...
Old November 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
ZACHASS
DAVID YOUNG
1995 DEFENDER

ahh .....good old flat, sealevel,muddy newjersey! perfect defender state. when is your brother gonna get that land cruiser on the road?
Old November 20th, 2008, 01:11 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACHASS
ahh .....good old flat, sealevel,muddy newjersey! perfect defender state. when is your brother gonna get that land cruiser on the road?
i'm trying to get them to send it out my way! I could register it as is with no issues... not like jersey...
Old November 20th, 2008, 10:23 PM
ZACHASS
DAVID YOUNG
1995 DEFENDER

you would have no problem with lack of power! last I saw that thing was smoking the 40's with out braking a sweat.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:14 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeWan
1. start with headman headers from summit - $170 bucks and get them ceramic coated.
I have a set of headman headers but when I fit them they interferred with the steering linkage and were really close to the frame rails. Ive heard these need to be modified with a hammer, did you have to do this on yours? Any advice for getting a good fit?
Old November 21st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrrvr
I have a set of headman headers but when I fit them they interferred with the steering linkage and were really close to the frame rails. Ive heard these need to be modified with a hammer, did you have to do this on yours? Any advice for getting a good fit?
Are these shorty headers? Did they mate to the y-pipe without mods? Any pix?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:46 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I don't think the ones that you get from Summit are shorties....mine weren't so I had the shop modify them at the end to fit the y pipe. Also, they made a small dimple on number 3 cylinder (i think) to allow for the steering linkage. I also to a grinder to that area of the steering linkage and took a little bit of the metal that was interferring off w/o any problems. Another think to consider is that all of your motor mounts and tranny mounts are fresh, not oil soaked or old as they will sag and not help fitment.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:05 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

You guys need to come up here and spend a few weeks trying to tow something with a stock Rover V8

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
engine