Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old October 1st, 2013, 12:21 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Engine advise..Please

So, I have this 2004 Discovery that I have decided to keep and repair. From what I was told the head gasket went. It doesn't over heat but does sound a little rough. I have only driven it about 5 miles to my house.

Willing to look at all option but would like to keep it on the inexpensive side.

What's the best way to get this truck up and running and become a reliable runner?

I'm not opposed to GM or other engine options.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 12:31 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover View Post
So, I have this 2004 Discovery that I have decided to keep and repair. From what I was told the head gasket went. It doesn't over heat but does sound a little rough. I have only driven it about 5 miles to my house.

Willing to look at all option but would like to keep it on the inexpensive side.

What's the best way to get this truck up and running and become a reliable runner?

I'm not opposed to GM or other engine options.

Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mark
My daughters 2004 Disco II had a slipped sleeve...rather than wait for the problem to worsen I had the engine rebuilt and various other components replaced such as the water pump, strictly as a preventative measure. It had just over 100K on the engine. It was about 4k to repair. Although I choked it down...in the end it's more reliable and it should last another 100K...hopefully.

I believe in matters like this it can be done for less, but I wanted it done right and complete the first time. Good Luck.
Old October 1st, 2013, 12:43 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I would definitely check/confirm you have an engine issue before anything else. If the head-gasket went, you should be able to get the coolant tested for traces of exhaust fume. Sometimes you can also tell by the coolant/sweet smell of the engine exhaust gas. Is that truck losing any fluid?
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2013, 01:41 PM
mountainviewrover
MARK LECLAIR
95 Range Rover Classic

Registry
Advise greatly apreciated! I will check and report back. The truck is at my house currently. Thanks again and keep the comments coming in......
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:33 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug
Many come and go - and leak fluids.

Good used motor - 4.0 or 4.6?

Just find a good used RUNNING motor and swap it in. Going GM or something in a d2 is a ton of work (yes I've done it) so do not bother unless the truck is going to be your baby.

If it's a 4.6 - swap a 4.0 in it since they are WAY cheaper. The ECU will adapt enough and will run it fine.

Doug
Old October 1st, 2013, 08:46 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainviewrover View Post
So, I have this 2004 Discovery that I have decided to keep and repair. From what I was told the head gasket went. It doesn't over heat but does sound a little rough. I have only driven it about 5 miles to my house. Willing to look at all option but would like to keep it on the inexpensive side. What's the best way to get this truck up and running and become a reliable runner? I'm not opposed to GM or other engine options. Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark
I would figure out what is wrong ... So many people dump vehicles because they don't know what's wrong with them ... If it doesn't overheat and the oil and water are clean then it's probably not a head gasket.

A little rough describes a few of my ex-girlfriends ... Could you be a bit more descriptive of the problem?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:45 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

I have a Head gasket question for everyone. A gasket if definitely blown because of the water in the oil. Dipstick is straight grey foam! With that said, I'm wondering if head gasket replacement is even an option. Should I replace them, look for signs of slipped sleeve etc. or is the engine a goner? I do not know how long it was driven in this state, but the lifters are starting to get a bit loud.

Any advice is much appreciated, so far I've heard I should get a new 4.6....
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:54 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCbass View Post
I have a Head gasket question for everyone. A gasket if definitely blown because of the water in the oil. Dipstick is straight grey foam! With that said, I'm wondering if head gasket replacement is even an option. Should I replace them, look for signs of slipped sleeve etc. or is the engine a goner? I do not know how long it was driven in this state, but the lifters are starting to get a bit loud.

Any advice is much appreciated, so far I've heard I should get a new 4.6....
You can't tell until the head is off what is under there... and how good or bad it is.
In other words with the heads off, you can examine the cylinders for issues and then determine if the fix is easy or hard. Otherwise it's speculation, heresay, and a guessing game.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 16th, 2013, 08:57 PM
RRCbass
Rob Bass
1990 Range Rover Classic

Do you think the engine bearings could be worn though from the water in the oil? I won't be able to tell even with the heads off..
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
hoxie173
Matt Hawkes
1959 S2

A lot of the time it's the front cover gasket. Pull the pan and pressurize the system, you'll be able to see it leaking if it's the cover.
Old October 16th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Roving Beetle
Doug

These engines it's actually not "easy" to get any larger amount of antifreeze into the oil from the heads. Matt is on the right track with the front cover.

In the case of the original poster here - I now own the truck and it's here in Maine. I'm driving it - it's going to explode any minute - haha. It's a bad bearing(s) on he crank/connecting rods. She's noisy. May have head leakage too. It needs a motor.

That said I *might* put a GM 5.3 and 5 speed in it because I'm a glutton for punishment. Ha
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Only to discover and explore the facts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCbass View Post
Do you think the engine bearings could be worn though from the water in the oil? I won't be able to tell even with the heads off..
The bearings are in Texas where the oil is and the heads are in Illinois much further north where the compression is.

No you're talking pulling off the oil pan to check the bearings which is way south of your previous head concerns.

You need a workshop manual, tools, (if you don't have these already), and a free weekend to use them.

...again it's all guesswork without tear down facts.
Facts facts, you need to wrench to get the facts.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

He has frothy oil. Which means a lot of water has gotten in - most likely front cover or slipped liner (maybe)

Did it cause wear having frothy oil - certainly. How much? Not sure. But it for sure didn't help anything. Bearing and cam wear were certainly accelerated.

I'd pull the motor and remove heads and oil pan. Check cylinders and do a pressure test etc.
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:54 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roving Beetle View Post
He has frothy oil. Which means a lot of water has gotten in - most likely front cover or slipped liner (maybe)

Did it cause wear having frothy oil - certainly. How much? Not sure. But it for sure didn't help anything. Bearing and cam wear were certainly accelerated.

I'd pull the motor and remove heads and oil pan. Check cylinders and do a pressure test etc.
Why?

Swap in a better one (there are no good 4.0 or 4.6 bosch motors IMHO).
Old October 17th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Roving Beetle
Doug

Ha ha. I'm with you guys - swap a good running motor in and don't mess with one that's had froth and obvious issues.

In my case a GM in its future I believe.
Old October 17th, 2013, 09:25 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Why?

Swap in a better one (there are no good 4.0 or 4.6 bosch motors IMHO).
Sage advice indeed. Cheapest route to take. Quickest route to getting back on the road.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:02 AM
giftshopduane
Chris luciano
72 Series 3 88"

First off.. find yourself someone who is qualified to diagnose your issue in person, either a LR mechanic or someone on the forums who knows what to look for. Doing head gaskets on a LR motor is routine maintenance. It might not be your problem but it will be sooner or later. There are tons of motors out there that were condemned due to lack of proper diagnosis. There is a fair amount of myth surrounding LR motors and slipped liners, some have had issues, but most have been poor diag. I have seen components in motors replaced (mains, big ends, front covers, rockers, rocker shafts and cams) and the engine still had a low oil light and engine tick. I have an 03' that I have done a ton of work to and for the last 30k miles the engine knocks, ticks and low oil light is on.. I bet my bottom dollar that most of the noise and oil light issues in these motors (a properly maintained motor) is due to the cams and bearings.

Your post is pretty vague, from a diagnostic standpoint. If you want to figure this out on your own you will have to do a bit of research, there are endless threads devoted to LR engine noises, head gaskets etc.. Ultimately you can pick up the Rave manuals on CD or download them, a few new tools for your box and do the job yourself to save some bucks.. but a good independent LR shop can typically knock these out easily. I think we were under $2k at $100 an hr.

What kind of noise? How noisy? Does it change with engine rpm? How long has it run, it might not overheat now, but it seems you haven't driven it enough to find out. Is there coolant in the oil? Oil in the coolant? Get under it with a REALLY bright flashlight, if the HG's are leaking outside the engine, sometimes they build up veins of dried coolant off the corners of the heads, or green spots on your engine. If its leaking across the cylinders, pull the plugs and look for one or two that are cleaner than the others (the leak will steam clean the plug). Running rough isn't indicative of hg's especially with an 04' Disco. They are prone to coil failure, poor replacement wires, old plugs.

Swapping in a "good" replacement motor? Different dog, same fleas! If you are going to go that route, get yourself a GEMS motor, downgrade to a 4.0. Swap the Bosch parts over. The Gems 4.0 were some of the best LR v8's (not saying much) the decrease in power is a trade off for better reliability. The bosch engine management was much better than GEMS so the 4.0 won't be as doggish as it was with GEMS. I have a 97 Disco with 247k miles and NO issues, and my RR 4.0 went 212k before I rebuilt it (but only because I wanted it to last long, I had the time and money and curiosity to do so..) but my 03 Disco has started to fail at 90k its a super pig on gas and when the time comes I'm going back to 4.0..

I would be more concerned with the frame rot of the Disco II's that's some scarey shit!

PM me for my info and I can walk you through a few things.
Old October 17th, 2013, 10:15 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I may be mistaken, but I think Rob is trying to flip the Disco so the incentive to rebuild the engine isn't really there. It would probably be more cost effective to simply yank the suspect engine and put in a runner. In our area there aren't many machine shops that I would even consider taking a lawn mower to let alone a complete Land Rover engine. It would almost certainly entail a waiting game of several months. The good one, Rockville Ring and Bearing, is always swamped with dealership work, so your chances of getting anything done in a short time are not good.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 17th, 2013, 12:17 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Rover1 is the Top Hat sleeve for the 4.6 from LA Sleeve just FYI. Also there is a board member who I can't name names right now how is heavy into setting up the GM Gen4 drop in to the Disco/Defender. I will let him release all the details when ready, but I am seriously considering getting a nice DI and doing this swap. 5.3L GM parts available anywhere, 6 speed auto and 300HP on board with 20+MPGs ----no brainer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
engine