Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 17th, 2011, 09:33 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
EAS Delay Relay AMR1111

white relay under passenger seat on air suspension equipped RRC. Mine's dodgy.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:53 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

You probably already did, but I'd check with Rover Renovations.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old May 17th, 2011, 11:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
I have to run around to the passenger side and reach under the seat to wiggle the thing and it comes to life. It's just about every time I start the truck, so it's part of the ritual. If it worked without me tickling it every time i would be a happy camper.

1968 2A 88

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2011, 12:06 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Yeah, that does suck. I'm learning all I can about the RRC air suspension as I just purchased a 95 SWB with an intact air suspension using Gen III Arnott air springs.

Old May 17th, 2011, 12:54 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
white relay under passenger seat on air suspension equipped RRC. Mine's dodgy.
Bill, do your self a favor (if you have not done so allready) and download the software from rsw solutions, it will come in handy. I may have one handy, I will have to look around my used parts bin, let me know how to get it to ya!!!
looking under my classic it shows rover part # amr1111, made by trw for rover, trw part # 0212000e
Old May 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Thanks, C. I already have all that stuff from Storey. I even sent away for the cable parts and made a cable, so I can reset the EAS when it poops out. If you find one, maybe bring it to HH (if I ever find out where it is)

Chance, go to rangerovers.net and read the EAS pages. It is where I learned all about it. The best advice I can give you is to keep a spare pump, dryer, and ECU on hand. 99 times out of 100 the faults are from loss of signal from the sensors to the ECU. I find that I need only reseat connectors, clear the faults and the thing goes back to normal. I have had it all apart a few times so it isn't a big deal to me any more; all the mystery is gone. Rover service technicians must have made their dealerships a lot of money fixing non broken EAS trucks.

I also recommend that you get the RSW solutions software on a laptop and make yourself a comm cable using the directions on his site. I made one in about an hour once I had the parts. I have it on a really grotty old laptop that I can barely see the screen. If it has more than 16MB of RAM I'd be surprised, but it gets the job done.

1968 2A 88

Old May 17th, 2011, 02:25 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Quote:
Thanks, C. I already have all that stuff from Storey. I even sent away for the cable parts and made a cable, so I can reset the EAS when it poops out. If you find one, maybe bring it to HH (if I ever find out where it is)

Chance, go to rangerovers.net and read the EAS pages. It is where I learned all about it. The best advice I can give you is to keep a spare pump, dryer, and ECU on hand. 99 times out of 100 the faults are from loss of signal from the sensors to the ECU. I find that I need only reseat connectors, clear the faults and the thing goes back to normal. I have had it all apart a few times so it isn't a big deal to me any more; all the mystery is gone. Rover service technicians must have made their dealerships a lot of money fixing non broken EAS trucks.

I also recommend that you get the RSW solutions software on a laptop and make yourself a comm cable using the directions on his site. I made one in about an hour once I had the parts. I have it on a really grotty old laptop that I can barely see the screen. If it has more than 16MB of RAM I'd be surprised, but it gets the job done.
I have the rsw software, I keep a laptop and wires with me whenever Im in the truck, on the same token, I keep cheap 12v air compressor from harbor freight and have rigged a self rcovery system (basically a T piece with a schraeder valve on one end)... once I did not have the laptop (murphy's law) and the system set a hard code for a pressure switch, I disconnected the eas computer and aired the bags independently... it got me home until I could read and clear the code.
next HH we will crawl under and will show you what I have just to give you an idea on which you can work. maybe you will want to run recovery hoses to under the hood, mine are next to the compressor box under the truck.
Old May 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Yah, rangerovers.net has a wealth of information. Good stuff there. I saw that software and cable diagram on RSW's website, but autosparks.co.uk no longer lists that connector for sale. Where did you get yours?

So it looks like the EAS Unlock Suite can recalibrate ride heights? No testbook required? That would be nice since I have the longer travel airbags.

Old May 17th, 2011, 03:02 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have that relay if you are still looking for one.
Old May 17th, 2011, 05:19 PM
carlosz
Carlos

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
Yah, rangerovers.net has a wealth of information. Good stuff there. I saw that software and cable diagram on RSW's website, but autosparks.co.uk no longer lists that connector for sale. Where did you get yours?

So it looks like the EAS Unlock Suite can recalibrate ride heights? No testbook required? That would be nice since I have the longer travel airbags.
yes it works, I have used it personally and a shop environment side by side with auto logic.
ease of use (touch screen) autologic hands down(of course a $15k pricetag to with it and lots of support one phone call away) but for all purpose doit your self freebie RSW.
for the connector, visit a local junkyard and find a pre 96 rover, locate the engine ecu and it is the same diag plug as the eas.
cut it and be on your merry way.
Old May 17th, 2011, 09:14 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Yes Joel, still need one. This will be the third one in five years. I guess they just go bad.

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2011 09:24 PM ------

Yah, I've never had the pump fail. When the truck hard codes, I pull the EAS plug off and jumper the pins to operate the pump and independently inflate the bladders. So my emergency recovery tool is 4 small bits of wire twisted and wire-nutted together. Gets me home. I've only driven home on the bumpstops once and that was plenty (from the MIL's in Wilkes Barre) when you hit a bridge expansion joint at 70mph on the bumpstops, well, things do go flying....

------ Follow up post added May 17th, 2011 09:31 PM ------

Quote:
Chance, highly recommend you try the factory settings for a while before fooling with ride heights. Get used to the magic carpet ride of the EAS and what an amazing thing it is first, then if you REALLY need to readjust it you'll have a better idea. I don't think you'll need to tho. The longer travel bladders help articulation. Don't be tempted to jack it up for "the look". It is totally unneeded and will wear out the bladders faster. If you get it high centered it will try to free itself. That alone is worth the price of admission.

1968 2A 88

Old May 17th, 2011, 10:25 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Thanks for the great advice guys! I definitely plan to run her as is for a while. She's due to show up tomorrow or the next. Looking forward to having a RRC again; especially this beauty. Found a pre-made cable on eBay uk, but the price hurt a bit. Junkyard sounds good.

Old May 17th, 2011, 11:32 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Is EAS in a RRC really that smooth? Apparently my truck still has everything left in it... It would be interesting to try. I'd think, if you know all the tricks, you could have some guarantee of not having to drive on the stops.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:49 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Bill-

Just saw one on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Land-...ht_2381wt_1013

Old May 21st, 2011, 09:32 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Is EAS in a RRC really that smooth? Apparently my truck still has everything left in it... It would be interesting to try. I'd think, if you know all the tricks, you could have some guarantee of not having to drive on the stops.
Is it flat right now? If it is I can get you back up in a few minutes. There is no reason to have to drive on the bumpstops unless you are a dope like me. But I know better now.

Thanks Chance but that's about $55 bucks more than I care to pay.

1968 2A 88

Old May 21st, 2011, 11:21 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

No. She's on coils but nearly everything for eas is intact. Just wondering how the ride is. Is it worth trying was with arnott bags?
Old May 22nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Took me about 4 hours to swap out the coils on my current Loob. It also came with coils. It had a bent driver's side front height sensor which is probably the cause for the PO to switch to metal springs. S'long as the guts are there, I'd say go for it.
The main reason the EAS has gotten such a bad rap is that the typical Range Rover buyer, while supposedly wealthy enough to afford a high end vehicle, is at heart a miserly cheapskate. They don't want to give a technician carte blanche to troubleshoot the system and opt for the "sure thing" rather than pay for repair. Our trusty parts suppliers are no help in this regard; pushing EAS coil conversion kits as if EAS were some kind of curse.
If you take a small amount of time to research and understand what it is all about, it will pay you back in wonderfulness in spades.

1968 2A 88

Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:57 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

What Bill said. My first 95 SWB RRC (that I sold 6 years ago), had coils when I got it, so I didn't know any better. For the last 6 years, I've had a newer RR with the air suspension. When I recently went back to a 95 SWB, I made sure it had an intact EAS. I sure like it. Seems like it's got less body roll on the highway. Tighter. If you're into the lifted look, you may not like the EAS (although ride heights can be calibrated).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
relay