Defenders near Baltimore... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:49 PM
thomthom
Thom Thurlow
1991 RRC Hunter

Defenders near Baltimore...

Not sure where to post this - I've owned series trucks, discovery's, and RRC's, but thinking about a 110 - would like the opportunity to drive both a 200tdi truck and a v8 truck - on the fence about which is the right powerplant for me. I've never had any trouble from the Rover V8's, and I've also never owned a diesel anything. Truck would likely be a daily, with some long trips, maybe expo set up. Even more specific, I'm on the fence between a 3 door and HiCap. If anyone has any input, or is willing to let me check out their rig, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, Thom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2017, 08:57 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Thom:
The reviews on TDI vs V8 are mixed, but I would not own a daily driver with a V8 under the hood, unless it was powered by natural gas or hydrogen.
My choice would be diesel otherwise.
I don't daily drive a Rover TDI if I can help it, but they will do if you keep up with the maintenance.
My engine choices are Isuzu 4JB1T, Iveco 2.8, or Mercedes OM617.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 3rd, 2017, 09:42 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

I can let you drive everything, V8, 200 and 300tdi, only in Michigan though.

Also have a 1991 110 200tdi Hi-cap with only 8000 miles if you are interested.
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:19 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

Ive driven all engine types even with a V8 on LPG . Hands down, the V8 wins. Its easily maintained and a solid workhorse. Quieter by a longshot as well. Best of all, if you have any problem, any mechanic worth his salt can address the issue.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 10:33 PM
rvrchuck
Chuck Hester
1995 D90

Registry
Our family friend dropped a 5.7l V8 crate motor in his 109". Better fuel economy, more horses, more torque, and more parts availability than any rover engine this side of the pond. Once my 3.9l motor in my 90 gives up its ghost, I'm doing the same without blinking.

But back to the original post...cannot help you with the 110 engine selection for driving, but I am from the Baltimore area as well.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:22 PM
thomthom
Thom Thurlow
1991 RRC Hunter

Thanks to everyone so far... I've been happy with the V8 in the Classic and disco, I imagine the mpg would be substantial with the TDI. My hang ups with the diesel are a few: not sure about sound levels, enough power for US highways/towing, and although I'm an experienced technician/fabricator, my experience with diesels is limited.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 11:48 PM
Tarheeld
Bill
1985 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomthom View Post
Thanks to everyone so far... I've been happy with the V8 in the Classic and disco, I imagine the mpg would be substantial with the TDI. My hang ups with the diesel are a few: not sure about sound levels, enough power for US highways/towing, and although I'm an experienced technician/fabricator, my experience with diesels is limited.

The difference is a 5mpg, from what I have observed. But frankly, this should not persuade any rover, and especially a defender owner as the savings are easily spent on rover troubles which are quite frequent on any rover, even more so on one that is 25+ year old. Also, you raise a good point as finding a decent diesel mechanic is tough especially here where diesel is not a popular fuel option. Towing-wise, a V8 does the job. Now it also depends on what you tow as well.
Old January 4th, 2017, 03:07 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomthom View Post
Not sure where to post this - I've owned series trucks, discovery's, and RRC's, but thinking about a 110 - would like the opportunity to drive both a 200tdi truck and a v8 truck - on the fence about which is the right powerplant for me. I've never had any trouble from the Rover V8's, and I've also never owned a diesel anything. Truck would likely be a daily, with some long trips, maybe expo set up. Even more specific, I'm on the fence between a 3 door and HiCap. If anyone has any input, or is willing to let me check out their rig, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks, Thom
Thom I have a very well equipped and highly reliable 300TDi Expedition Truck in the for sale section, if you're interested?

Cheers

Fraser

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.
Old January 4th, 2017, 03:34 PM
thomthom
Thom Thurlow
1991 RRC Hunter

Looking forward to checking out some trucks - realistically, I want to make sure I'm up for a Defender in the first place. I don't have an issue adding sound deadening or working to get it water/wind proof, as long is it makes an improvement. I found the series III to be a lost cause in those respects. Whichever engine, I'll be doing all the work myself, I'm an ASE Master tech and quite capable, just not much hands on experience with diesels. I imagine at this point, parts for both engines are readily available, maybe a few less sources for the TDI. Fuel economy is appealing to me, however I want to be able to drive through the mountains at a reasonable speed, sound levels are something else to take into consideration. I'm a car guy, so also dragging home projects, it would be ideal to be able to tow a trailer with midsize car on it, I'm mostly into euro sporty cars, but may tow larger vehicles on occasion. Truck will also be used for home depot runs, so ability to carry lumber/plywood comes into consideration as well. Of course, I could always get a utility trailer. Currently using a Maggiolina RTT, ARB fridge, and Coleman camp stove with my FJ62, debating about going to a trailer setup, or possibly an ambulance style camper body on a 110 - though wondering if that would become annoying on a regular use truck. I'll be driving it often, but I also ride year round, and usually have other vehicles as back-ups. Also, to give an idea - my past daily's have been a Triumph TR7, 1964 Volvo 122s, 1978 Saab 99, 1974 Plymouth Trailduster, etc...
Old January 6th, 2017, 06:44 AM
Realm
Lawrence
1989 110 v8

Registry
search "3.5 v8 vs 200 tdi" - there is a decent thread on it.

i'm moving to annapolis in May and might have a 110 you can check out if you haven't found any others by then.
Old January 6th, 2017, 07:58 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Sorry, adding sound proofing to a tdi is not going to make much difference IMO. These things demand a certain ownership sacrifice and offer no apologies. As a mechanic willing to do your own work is a big plus though. This site can help guide you through the straight an narrow. There are a number of tdi' here in the NOVA area and we meet for beers on the third Thursday of each month at a hole in the wall called Kilroys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 6th, 2017, 08:06 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Don't buy a Rover if you plan to tow. The V8 runs out of HP on any hills and the diesel is not up to towing anything more than a very light small trailer. That said, with the Loob I have towed a 28 foot boat, a 10K trailer and pulled my 23 footer many many times. Every time I towed anything like that I was hating it cz the poor thing was constantly downshifting and I was rarely able to go much over 50 mph.
If you want to tow, get an F350 crew cab. I did.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old January 10th, 2017, 09:29 AM
pdz
paul tj deasey
1994 D90 - #795

I'd let u drive mine around but right now the seats are out as I put in sound damping. But if willing to wait a couple weeks I should have it back together.
Old January 10th, 2017, 10:39 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Come on down to NOVA HH...not a long drive for you to hang with a bunch of folks and see a lot of trucks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
baltimore, defender