Defender Import Feasibility - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:40 PM
onedeltatentango
M.R. MILLER
in the market

Defender Import Feasibility

New to the forum, working as an Army officer in Germany and am hoping to gather some input into the feasibility of purchasing a Defender here in Europe and upon completion of my duty returning to the U.S. with it. So far it seems like I have arrived at three potential solutions, each with significant hurdles and one might be a blatant lie. In order of least hassel to most, they are:

1) Purchase 25 year old + Defender which would not be subject to U.S. safety laws
2) Purchase models from years which were imported to the states
3) Purchase any Defender and make modifications.

1) Number one seems the most straight forward, bring a vehicle into the states with Classic car status and forego many of the safety and emissions issues I would otherwise battle. There is a robust classic Defender market place here in Germany, and especially with surplus British Military vehicles. The ex-military Defender idea sounds especially interesting as they are generally bare bones and might provide a good platform which I could then modify into an interesting custom rig. Unfortunately, if these vehicles were treated in the same way my Humvees are treated by my Soldiers I would be pretty cynical about the integrity of such a vehicle.

2) It is my understanding that Defender 90's and some 110's were imported into the states in the mid-nineties. I understand this is well known information so bare with me. My question is wether a similar vintage Defender in Germany would still fulfill the requirements of those which were imported into the states, or if I would have to do something super sketchy like apply for a salvage title and relocate some vin plates.

3) Number three seems like it potentially would provide me the most reliable Defender option available. A Co-Worker has tried to convince me that with a moderate modification done by a professional here in Germany; and with a significant monetary commitment, a newer model of a Defender could be made to conform to the necessary U.S. regulations. All of the online research I have done would suggest he is full of Sh*t but I assumed if there was a place to get solid information someone here would be able to provide that.

I will once again beg your forgiveness for my severe ignorance, but it has been a goal of mine for over a decade to own a Defender and I finally find myself with the expendable income and a sizable Defender market at my disposal. I also think it might be easier to find parts while I am here.

Thank you for any suggestions provided.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
talk to this guy. peter.quinter@gray-robinson.com
Old May 30th, 2012, 02:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Go with 1 and rebuild it to what you want.

Most rebuilt trucks are a donor and a bunch of parts from one or more vehicles.
Advertisement

Old May 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
message JimC - He's in a similar sitiuation ( army ) and knows all about Land Rovers ... and is in Germany ... and for good measure he's a moderator on the forum.

Your co-worker is full of shit ...
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
#3 is definitely wrong. Like, lose your truck and a lot of money wrong.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Some light reading for your evening:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=13713
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
red64chevelle
Daniel Smith
86 110 300TDI,16 Disco Sport

Registry
I went option #1. I had it shipped by household goods from Bahrain to NJ. The one thing to look out for is that you need to get a letter from Land Rover with its birthdate. It took a couple of weeks for me to get it through a LR dealer in Bahrain.

Just look for the type of truck you want there. If parts are easy to get in Germany, do the stuff you know that needs it while you are still there. You can always ship the extra parts with it.
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:55 PM
JettLag
Craig Jett
None... currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by red64chevelle View Post
I went option #1. I had it shipped by household goods from Bahrain to NJ. The one thing to look out for is that you need to get a letter from Land Rover with its birthdate. It took a couple of weeks for me to get it through a LR dealer in Bahrain.

Just look for the type of truck you want there. If parts are easy to get in Germany, do the stuff you know that needs it while you are still there. You can always ship the extra parts with it.
You can also use a Heritage Certificate from here: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....hive-services/
Old May 30th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Another option for you.... talk to Whitham SV in the UK... Buy & get it either shipped to your local base for transport home or direct... I assume that you can get 'low cost' air freight on a C130 maybe

http://www.mod-sales.com/

My buddy was in the Para's.... don't touch theirs with a barge pole.... would think an ex-RAF or Royal Signals radio truck would be a good option for being less squadie bashed, they have a 1988 on the site at present.... just a year too new as it looks in real great shape, some earlier too.... time to go shopping !

Best of luck.....

Just got to convince the wife to let me have the hard top Wolf, it's just legal for import into Canada
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
I went with option 1. I purchased an '85 110 SW from the Netherlands, and shipped it through Transcar under their 2nd POV program. They handled all of the import and customs hassle. I simply picked it up from Atlanta and had no issues titleing and registering it in AL. I claimed the cost when I filed my taxes this year.

By the way, I found my 110 on www.marktplaats.nl.

I researched option 2. Very expensive and must be imported and modified by an ICI in the US. I was quoted an estimate of $30k for the import and modification. Simply not worth the $$ in my opinion.

- Jon
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:59 PM
onedeltatentango
M.R. MILLER
in the market

So the consensus seems to be option 1, which is what I would have predicted. My next question would be regarding common issues to look for, steer clear of, or options to hunt. Thanks to an all expenses paid trip to Central Asia I dont expect to purchase this vehicle until Spring 2013 so I will have plenty of time to search and wait for the right vehicle. A basic description of my plans for a vehicle are:
Convert a 110/109? into a long range 4x4/Camper for when I depart military life and return to my previous occupation of professional climbing and fly fishing bum. Many of the Ex-Military 109's I see advertised are 2 door models which are pretty bare bones and might be a good starting point to convert the rear into a living/gear storage space. I have also seen some very intriguing 4 door 110 models which have undergone significant conversions making them very livable. Additionally I have seen some pickups with camper caps which might be another good options. My main concern is finding the most reliable configuration possible. Looking through other forum posts I see a lot of conversations about after market diesel engines as well as galvanized chassis. Are there other features people would recommend I look for?
I realize this is a very general post but your feedback has been extremely valuable to me and I will continue to sift through the forum looking for more ideas and suggestions.
Old May 31st, 2012, 01:23 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Nakatanenga 4x4 does a lot of custom work on 110s, to include expedition conversions and the like. They are right off of the A3 southeast of Nuremberg and worth a trip. The staff are very friendly and speak english well. Link: http://www.nakatanenga.de/

- Jon
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:59 PM
onedeltatentango
M.R. MILLER
in the market

I am just up the road from them in Bamberg, I'll definately take a trip and see what they have to say. Thanks for that.
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:00 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

If your looking to convert a 110 to a camper then your in luck. the Allrad show is on in bad kissengen 7-10th june.
http://cms-5.de/blog.abenteuerallrad...itors/english/
seeing as your not too far away it would be good day out.

good luck with your search.

Regards
Gren
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
onedeltatentango
M.R. MILLER
in the market

Thanks for telling me, I will definitely head up there on Saturday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
import