Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post
How is OEM a copy?
Same for the nakatanenga. In the end how can you tell the difference?
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:15 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Falon Nameplates is the OEM for the NAS, 50th anniversary badges etc.

I don't know/care about the Nakatanenga & Heritage grills as they are an acquired taste that I have yet to acquire.
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2013, 03:32 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Did green enamel and silver letter and surround....on the black alu "good" grill .....

all in transit to Dale at RVR BARN for Oates. Pictures will be forthcoming once installed.

Appreciate the advice here everyone.

Jeff
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:39 PM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Well, if you cannot find a real heritage grill, the Nakatenga version looks nice and Falon did the oval...the picture is a mock up, stuff is not fully bolted up: diff guard, steering guard, winch, dixon-bates units, etc., are pending installation.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heritage grill with green oval on Oates 5-6-13.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	782.0 KB
ID:	71819  
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Old February 1st, 2014, 05:04 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I'm looking for a non AC heritage (style) grill like the one pictured in Josh's post. I sent Nakatanenga an email but no reply yet. Any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks
Oscar
Old February 14th, 2014, 12:01 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yep, like I said Falon Nameplates has good copies of the plaques.

Just make sure they don't try to charge you VAT, as they love running that scam.
Their reply to my question about a tax of about 6.50:

Quote:
We are seeking advice as we have always been informed by our Inland revenue to charge to individuals unless your are a company and can provide a valid tax number we are unable to zero rate. Sorry but this is law in the UK.

Thank you
Michelle
I don't recall ever paying any form of tax when I purchased items from the UK.

Is this what you meant Josh?
Old February 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Yeah that's what I was talking about. They've been seeking advice on that for a couple of years now.
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:43 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

https://www.gov.uk/report-vat-fraud

Maybe they can find some advice on this site?
Old February 14th, 2014, 07:54 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I did NOT order from Falcon just because of the tax BS.
Old February 14th, 2014, 08:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
I did NOT order from Falcon just because of the tax BS.
It is like $10 ....
Old February 14th, 2014, 09:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
It is like $10 ....
Not the point. They are not going to mail the collected tax to Arizona. They are going to pocket it and it's wrong.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:10 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Not the point. They are not going to mail the collected tax to Arizona. They are going to pocket it and it's wrong.
Huh?

This tax has nothing to do with Arizona ...

They have to pay VAT on end consumer sales and given the volume they sell abroad I would imagine they just collect the tax and hand it over to the uk tax authority. If it's only a handful of sales a year it's probably not worth the complexity and cost to have their accountant break it out. If they kept the difference that would be VAT fraud and that's a serious offense.

Why do you automatically assume criminal intent rather than assume that it's just an honest small business trying to make the best of an awkward situation?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:12 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

Why do you automatically assume criminal intent rather than assume that it's just an honest small business trying to make the best of an awkward situation?
Because literally no other UK outfit charges VAT for overseas sales, and I've ordered from a heck of a lot of them.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 14th, 2014, 10:30 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Because literally no other UK outfit charges VAT for overseas sales, and I've ordered from a heck of a lot of them.
Oh that's ok then. It's obviously criminal activity then. Because you've ordered from every mon and pop UK outfit selling overseas that ever existed and have accurately catalogued their behavior.

You are aware that UK vat registration is a tiered system with different reporting and payment requirements depending on turnover? Thought so because you are all clearly experts on UK vat regulation.

If this was a US mon and pop outfit everyone would be jumping to their defense .. It's a little UK outfit trying to avoid getting on the wrong side of the inland revenue and everyone is screaming VAT fraud.
Old February 14th, 2014, 10:33 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Oh that's ok then. It's obviously criminal activity then. Because you've ordered from every mon and pop UK outfit selling overseas that ever existed and have accurately catalogued their behavior.

You are aware that UK vat registration is a tiered system with different reporting and payment requirements depending on turnover? Thought so because you are all clearly experts on UK vat regulation.

If this was a US mon and pop outfit everyone would be jumping to their defense .. It's a little UK outfit trying to avoid getting on the wrong side of the inland revenue and everyone is screaming VAT fraud.
Well...never said I was an expert, you just asked "why do you assume" to which I answered the question why he was probably assuming.

But yes, if I was ordering from a mom & pop place in California that was shipping to me in Virginia and insisted on charging me CA tax...I'd say the same exact thing. As would you I assume. No?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 14th, 2014, 11:02 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Huh?

This tax has nothing to do with Arizona ...

They have to pay VAT on end consumer sales and given the volume they sell abroad I would imagine they just collect the tax and hand it over to the uk tax authority. If it's only a handful of sales a year it's probably not worth the complexity and cost to have their accountant break it out. If they kept the difference that would be VAT fraud and that's a serious offense.

The fact that if I visit the UK, buy it in person from them and fill out the form at the airport when I leave and get the VAT back is why I question their methods.
The fact that the US don't have a federal sales tax (yet) and only a state sales tax has EVERYTHING to do with Arizona.
I ran an honest small business for many years and shipped merchandise all over the planet. If I collected sales tax and didn't declare it and didn't turn it in that would be fraud so I don't buy what your selling.
If it is that hard for a UK based business to break out their foreign sales it sounds like the UK tax system is broken and it makes their own businesses less competitive.
Old February 14th, 2014, 11:11 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Falon is an OEM supplier to "several companies". If they are "mom and pop" they are doing incredibly well. I've been ordering stuff from Europe for a long time and Falon is the only company that has charged "tax".

Maybe its a tax other than VAT? Perhaps they are prepaying the import duty or something? I have been billed for duties post delivery a few times.

BTW I wonder what the meant by not charging me tax if I gave them my tax ID? I have provided an EIN to some companies who asked but I don't see how that effects their taxes.
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:00 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
Falon is an OEM supplier to "several companies". If they are "mom and pop" they are doing incredibly well. I've been ordering stuff from Europe for a long time and Falon is the only company that has charged "tax". Maybe its a tax other than VAT? Perhaps they are prepaying the import duty or something? I have been billed for duties post delivery a few times. BTW I wonder what the meant by not charging me tax if I gave them my tax ID? I have provided an EIN to some companies who asked but I don't see how that effects their taxes.
they mean providing a VAT number that you would have as a VAT registered company. These VAT numbers are consistent across Europe.

Also a number of firms are pre-charging import duty now. TM lewin where I buy my work shirts used to ship VAT free. They now ship with pre-paid US import duties which is about the same rate as UK VAT for this particular item.

International tax is a complicated business and everyone has to take appropriate competent advice on their situation.
Old February 15th, 2014, 08:55 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
they mean providing a VAT number that you would have as a VAT registered company. These VAT numbers are consistent across Europe.

Also a number of firms are pre-charging import duty now. TM lewin where I buy my work shirts used to ship VAT free. They now ship with pre-paid US import duties which is about the same rate as UK VAT for this particular item.

International tax is a complicated business and everyone has to take appropriate competent advice on their situation.
Isn't the import duty paid by the person in the destination country? That's how it's always been handled in the past. Not sure why the originating company would care, as our government is certainly not going after companies overseas for the import duty (it's the responsibility of the recipient on the customs form).

At least with the shipments I've purchased from the UK I generally pay the customs duty, and in a larger example if I was to purchase a vehicle I'd be the one responsible for the customs & import duty (rather than the individual or dealer I purchased from in the UK).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
defender