Car Hauler/Trailer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old March 30th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Car Hauler/Trailer

Looking for something to tow the D around with that is not too expensive or too far away, which all the ads I am looking at have been! Thanks

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2005, 09:00 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

From experience, go with something that has 4200lb axles or better and brakes on both axles. The double 3500lb ones are junk that is why they are so cheap. I burned up a bearing coming home from Moab with less than 8k on the trailer and lost 3 bias ply tires. Get radial tires if you plan on hauling long distances. Spend a bit more up front or you will do it again later.

Tis
Old March 31st, 2005, 10:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Consider the Featherlite 3110 in the 17" length - this is Featherlite's "production" trailer so it is by far the best value in their lineup. The 3110 weighs only a little over a thousand pounds (1100 something i think) - which is half of what those cheapie steel trailers weigh. And being full aluminum and stainless, it will last, unlike your typical "3 year" trailer. I've been researching for a while, and I'm going to buy one here in a month or so for my Alfa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2005, 10:45 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sounds expensive. I am on a budget here!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its about 4k. I dont know what you want to spend. Maybe you can get a deal on ebay on one of those steel rigs. It might take a lot of POR15 to keep it from returning to the earth, but it will be cheap.
Old April 1st, 2005, 09:35 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

you can get a good Hudson with a wood deck for $1800-2000, don't get suckered in by those $1000 car haulers...you will be disappointed.

What are you going to pull with?

Tis
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

A Chevy 1500 Extened cab 2x4. Nothing fancy for sure but should work.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 1st, 2005, 11:38 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Thats not enough truck. 1/2 tons do not haul safely. How much you gonna spend on the tow truck?

Maybe I will find you something up to the challenge and a trailer also.

A cheap trailer can be okay if it has good brakes and you tie your truck off safely on it. Tis may have had a lemon from the get go. If I am inspired I will find you everything but you may have to come to Kansas to get it. Should I?

Please do not tell me you bought the 1/2 ton already.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 2nd, 2005, 12:06 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

No, I have not bought anything yet. The truck is just a loaner. A chevy 350 can't handle it?? That stinks. I would love you to find me something but I am not sure what I can afford right now as I was only planning on purchasing a trailer right now. If you get time, PM me and tell me what you had in mind, I will take any help from you I can get!!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 2nd, 2005, 11:55 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Oh a 350 would prolly handle it on the flats. But suck in the mountains. But the real problem would be how light the tow truck is. The truck on the trailer would tend to push the tow truck around. And the brakes would be nominal at best. Spoken from experience. If that tow truck is all you an score now get the lightest trailer here as suggested. Maybe even a Bobcat single axle style trailer with large axle and brakes.

JP

Old April 3rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Thanks for the advise. I have been shopping for one for a while. They are hard to find used. I will call you for permission to buy before I spend a dime! Thanks!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:19 PM
crobinson
Chris Robinson
97' D1

David
In my opinion you need to have at least a 3/4 ton truck with a full floating rear axle (the middle of the axle will pass thru the center of the wheel 1inch or more and have about six or eight bolts holding it to the hub). I also use a gooseneck trailer so that the weight of the trailer is over the axle. You find this set up more stable and the weight better distributed. Just watch out for the sides and rear of the truck bed when traveling over deep ditches or humps in the road. Trailer brakes are a must have item!
Chris Robinson
Old April 3rd, 2005, 11:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stop being such wusses.

Disco I will pull a 90 on a trailor just fine.

I was doing 80 the whole way down to nashville and back with mine.

If the chevy is a vortec 96 and up it will be even better
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:31 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Whatever Ronny

We haul up in the mountains. Not along the seaboard. Come on out to the Solihull rally this year and we can race up Eisenhower pass. I will put a D-ring connection on the rear of my trailer to pull you up. But you are on your own coming down with your hillbilly hookup.

Is the evil synonomus with knievel?

JP

Old April 4th, 2005, 02:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The [eastcoast] mountain on I81 on the VA NC border is about as bad as it gets and it is still not that bad.

I got wifey's 05 range rover if I want to tow anything now [or the LWB].

As far as "coming down" the disco brakes are fine as long as your trailer has proper brakes.

The scary trip was what had to be about 5tons+ of stone with Tom's disco. That was only in town but it put the back end of the DI with HD springs almost on the bumpstops
Old April 4th, 2005, 06:56 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The reason that Ron isnt worried about pulling with the Rangie is that he'd driving his "secret weapon" twin engine LWB:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drivetrain in Rangie 1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2892  
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:01 PM
redrover

Hey Tis, Do you have a hudson? What lenght trailer is ideal for the 90? How wide is your truck with the krawlers? I was checking out their 4 ton 16fter . my truck is almost 79 inches wide. JP
Old April 5th, 2005, 12:07 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Sorry Ron,

Could not pass up the chance to puff my chest out. Any progress on that mid engine RRC?

JP

Old April 12th, 2005, 09:46 AM
WhiteD90
Johnathan Tisdale
93 110, 90 RockRR buggy

JP

No, I dont have a Hudson mine is a locally built knock off with uprated axles,ect. I've got a standard 16'x8' and the truck fits with room to spare. I've got stock WMS-WMS on the ford 9s, 4" backspacing, and the krawlers are 12.50s so the width didn't really change any.

Buck

Last year when we drove out to the Chili Challenge it was me in the Ford 6.0, my buddy had a Ford 7.3 and another buddy in his gasser 2500 HD(2003). Lets just say his truck was revving at 4k and getting 8mph the whole way out...not to mention being left in the dust. He got home and traded it in for a Duramax.

Two years before that I towed the 90 out there with a DII, yes it can be done but is foolish in my opinion.

Tis

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted