Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 12th, 2016, 10:11 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Bonnet lock and latch

I've got a 1984 D90 with the original hood and bonnet lock. Unfortunately the key went missing long ago, as did the latch that rotates on the lock barrel to secure the bonnet latch. The bonnet stayed closed but does not lock.

I know a lot of people upgrade to the new hood, install a pullcord release, and discard the old lock and latch. Does anyone still have (a) the latch arm (b) the entire lock, latch arm, and key? I'd really like to re-key my lock and install the latch arm OR replace the entire kit.

Below is a pic of the removed lock just as a reference. Latch arm not pictured since I don't have it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:21 PM
The_Vermonster
Gordon
1984 110 CSW

I'm in almost the exact same situation. No key, and the mechanism is pretty crusty. But I do have the latch part. I would like to restore it and re key it so when I pull it out I can make a tracing and get you some measurements. I know it isn't as good as the real thing, but function over form.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2016, 09:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The lock was just that, a lock with a simple hook that locked into the bonnet It wasn't the latch. In the event of an under hood fire the lock would be a liability slowing ones ability to extinguish the fire. There is and never has been anything under the hood of a defender worthy of a lock and key. Most of these were removed long ago or simply moved to the unlock position and keys discarded by the first owners. Makes a nice hole for a warn winch controller plug.
If you are hung up on trying to retain it and want it serviceable, any locksmith should be able to make a key and get it working for you. Locks don't get any simpler than the ones used. I should have one of the arms if you need/want one.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:47 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
If you are hung up on trying to retain it and want it serviceable, any locksmith should be able to make a key and get it working for you. Locks don't get any simpler than the ones used. I should have one of the arms if you need/want one.
Doug - If you've got one of the arms I'd like to grab it from you. Can I Paypal you a few bucks to throw it in an padded envelope? PM me when you have a chance.

I totally understand your comments about fire safety and nothing worth steeling under the hood. I may eventually go with an under-dash pull cord release. That's why I don't want to spend too much trying to repair the lock / latch arm. But in the meantime it would be nice to secure the bonnet and deter vandalism when I'm parked on the street.
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:56 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'll have Trey look for one today. It sounds like you have no latch which is a huge issue. The cable latches suck, sticking/jamming often. The early style finger latches are best way to roll.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Old October 24th, 2016, 10:44 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I'll have Trey look for one today. It sounds like you have no latch which is a huge issue. The cable latches suck, sticking/jamming often. The early style finger latches are best way to roll.
I posted a pic of my lock but I'll snap one of the bonnet latch this evening and post it. Honestly, I can't figure out exactly how the arm is supposed to connect the lock to the latch which is why I haven't tried to cut/fabricate something myself.
Old October 24th, 2016, 12:08 PM
The_Vermonster
Gordon
1984 110 CSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Bear View Post
I posted a pic of my lock but I'll snap one of the bonnet latch this evening and post it. Honestly, I can't figure out exactly how the arm is supposed to connect the lock to the latch which is why I haven't tried to cut/fabricate something myself.
The lock and latch are separate units. The lock simply has a hook that grabs part of the hood. You can still actuate the latch, you just can't open the hood.
Old October 24th, 2016, 09:22 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
I included pics of my lock in the OP, but here's another of the back side of the lock installed, also the bonnet catch, and the release lever (pic taken from below)

Old October 24th, 2016, 11:09 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Are you thinking the lock attaches to the latch? no, there is a arm fitted to the lock and when turned hooks onto a 'd'shaped ring on the bonnet frame. Has nothing to do with the latch as Doug said, you more than likely still have that still fitted it is riveted on.
I'll get you picture if you need so.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 FHC
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:13 AM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
Are you thinking the lock attaches to the latch? no, there is a arm fitted to the lock and when turned hooks onto a 'd'shaped ring on the bonnet frame. Has nothing to do with the latch as Doug said, you more than likely still have that still fitted it is riveted on.
I'll get you picture if you need so.
That makes a lot more sense than the lock-hook somehow connecting to the bonnet latch. I'll look for the D-ring on the under side of the bonnet this evening. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Doug - I'm still interested in grabbing a lock arm if you come across one (or the entire lock, key and arm as a set because I also need to have a key made for the lock I have).
Old October 25th, 2016, 10:13 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Are you afraid of someone stealing your engine parts or tampering with your engine? They can still tamper by going underneath.

This is a huge waste of time and effort. Maybe this is some demented/obsessive purist thing, but i have never met a single person in the US or the UK that ever locked their hood. I'd be more concerned with replacing worn suspension bushings, upgrading brakes, fixing steering issues, installing a locking gas cap, etc.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:01 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
Are you afraid of someone stealing your engine parts or tampering with your engine? They can still tamper by going underneath.

This is a huge waste of time and effort. Maybe this is some demented/obsessive purist thing, but i have never met a single person in the US or the UK that ever locked their hood. I'd be more concerned with replacing worn suspension bushings, upgrading brakes, fixing steering issues, installing a locking gas cap, etc.
Mostly concerned with someone tampering with what's under the hood. As noted, there's not much under there worth stealing.

I appreciate your input but a couple of forum posts and/or a couple bucks to Uncle Douglas for the latch isn't exactly a huge effort or expenditure. Some people are just inexplicably destructive / might find it funny to rip out my hoses and wiring. How else do you explain random acts of vandalism? A more innocent possibility is that someone sees my 90, fancies a look under the hood, pops her open, and loses a finger when the bonnet slams shut. In today's overly litigious world I'd probably end up in court over such an incident .

For what it's worth I've got new power steering and a brush guard installed, brakes are good, and already have a locking gas cap. I'm working on the suspension but think I can handle trying to source the parts for that + the bonnet at the same time.
Old October 25th, 2016, 01:00 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
D.C.-Bear - I can see where you are coming from.

I have a lock on the hood/grille surround on my 110 and lost the key during the rebuild. Eventually I will get it to work again. For 90% of the time it will be unlocked but I feel it will be nice to have that option some of the time. I also have a locking fuel cap and will have a Tuffy center console that locks too. Those who want to get in will be able to but it should deter 1st tier scumbags.

Also it might not be a bad idea to have it locked for highway trips as a secondary catch for the hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted