Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:16 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys
aka: Mr Fancy Pants

Registry
Bicycle - a nicer road bike

Hi all,

I have been half heartily looking for a bike to ride on the streets. I have not ridden a bike in years. I have a pal that was sort of helping me look. He sent me this:

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/bik/5622920498.html

What do you think it is worth? Ideally I don't want to spend too much as I may end up not as hot to ride as I think I am.

I don't want to spend more than $500.
I am 5'10" and have a 31 / 32 unseen.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:27 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It's a dinosaur but for $500 to see if you like it, it's not bad. Based on your height and inseam a 55 is probably ideal.

Go test it and offer him 350.
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:32 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys

Registry
thanks. figured this would be a thread you & jeff would help with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2016, 09:35 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Without getting into your goals, riding habits (and volume), and intended use (ie., terrain, crits vs group rides vs commuting, etc.), I'd say that is a fairly reasonable price.

That said, it's missing some key information, such as the groupset it is running and the ballpark miles on said groupset. From about a 2.5 second search, it looks like the Nirone came with the Shimano Sora groupset, which is entry-level, and which appears to be reflected in the price. From the same brief search, looks like these retail new around $1,000.

Generally, Bianchi makes a good ride and has a good reputation. An aluminum frame/carbon fork is a decent set-up. Also, while a formal bike fit is better, you may be able to check Bianchi's website with your height/inseam measurements to see if 55cm frame will work (it varies by manufacturer). At 5'10" and 31/32, it may be close enough for recreational riding, but if the fit is bad, you're riding wont last long no matter what setup you're on.

All in all, there's a lot to consider so that you're not throwing money away on CL; however, you're not likely to find a road bike you'll really enjoy in the long run for less than $500.

Like Barry said, test ride it, inspect it, and go from there.
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Bicycle - a nicer road bike

Go test it, see if it shifts well (that shifter/crank combo may 'just' work especially if it's worn). Look over the frame for cracks and make sure the carbon fork isn't scraped or roughed up, if it is you may be looking for a replacement.
Size wise everyone is proportioned differently and you need to try it, but a 55cm is likely in the right ballpark for your height.

Oh yea and I would negotiate the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 14th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Without getting into your goals, riding habits (and volume), and intended use (ie., terrain, crits vs group rides vs commuting, etc.), I'd say that is a fairly reasonable price.

That said, it's missing some key information, such as the groupset it is running and the ballpark miles on said groupset. From about a 2.5 second search, it looks like the Nirone came with the Shimano Sora groupset, which is entry-level, and which appears to be reflected in the price. From the same brief search, looks like these retail new around $1,000.

Generally, Bianchi makes a good ride and has a good reputation. An aluminum frame/carbon fork is a decent set-up. Also, while a formal bike fit is better, you may be able to check Bianchi's website with your height/inseam measurements to see if 55cm frame will work (it varies by manufacturer). At 5'10" and 31/32, it may be close enough for recreational riding, but if the fit is bad, you're riding wont last long no matter what setup you're on.

All in all, there's a lot to consider so that you're not throwing money away on CL; however, you're not likely to find a road bike you'll really enjoy in the long run for less than $500.

Like Barry said, test ride it, inspect it, and go from there.
I agree totally, and after having raced for 12 years Cat 3 USCF, logged 200-300 miles per wk training, I would especially ask about the bottom bracket axel wear, and the wheels hubsets. That's your motor and rolling resistance. In 1995 a good quality frameset was 1500 dollars, so kind of like looking for that pristine defender in the farmers barn, at 500 dollars it would be a steal.
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:10 AM
d90boy
keith humphreys

Registry
thanks. much of all this is WAY over my head. i just want to attempt to do something other than running all the time to stay in shape.

i am no master bike man. this is solely for me. maybe on saturdays bring it to work with my car and drive the bike home type stuff [12 miles away]. go out for a ride on a sunday when the kids are out at a birthday party.

just more to switch it up from always running.

also if someone here has something that may work i am all ears.
Old June 14th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d90boy View Post
thanks. much of all this is WAY over my head. i just want to attempt to do something other than running all the time to stay in shape.

i am no master bike man. this is solely for me. maybe on saturdays bring it to work with my car and drive the bike home type stuff [12 miles away]. go out for a ride on a sunday when the kids are out at a birthday party.

just more to switch it up from always running.

also if someone here has something that may work i am all ears.
With those intentions, it looks like a good match if it is good condition.

We went shopping this weekend for a new road/commuter bike for the wife. There are some very decent rides out there around your price point. Check your local bike shops for 2014-15 bikes left in stock. We were finding on average 20% off.
Old June 14th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Kevin88RRC
Kevin Keith
1988 RRC

I've been considering selling an older Lemond but it may be too small for you (51 I think) and I want more the 500.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lemond-1.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	151923  
Old June 14th, 2016, 01:57 PM
vasily
Vasily
97 D90 SW

Registry
So I have wanted a road bike for over a year but the technical stuff is overwhelming.

I'd only be able to ride once a week and that is if I made it a priority.

And I'd probably get killed because of my eyesight.

But anyway, I don't know enough to make a purchase and I don't want to throw money away without knowing what I'm getting into.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:07 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys

Registry
x2.

barry you dont have something for me up your sleeve?!?!?!
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
x2.

barry you dont have something for me up your sleeve?!?!?!
Wish I did. Don't forget if you get the bike all the other crap you need:
shoes
pedals
skin tight bike costume
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:27 PM
d90boy
keith humphreys

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Wish I did. Don't forget if you get the bike all the other crap you need:
shoes
pedals
skin tight bike costume
i am looking forward to the padded ass shorts!!!
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:30 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you are going to only be riding recreationally, get shimano mountain pedals and shoes. No reason to get road pedals and shoes. Worthless for walking around in.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:30 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Wish I did. Don't forget if you get the bike all the other crap you need: shoes pedals skin tight bike costume
lol - and a little thing called a helmet, plus water bottles, bike computer, sunglasses, carbon fiber cages, spare tire kit plus bag with CO2....it's worse than golf
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:34 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
If you have/had knee issues, go with speedplay peddles.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:36 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasily View Post
So I have wanted a road bike for over a year but the technical stuff is overwhelming.
Keith / Vasily - feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to give you an overview/walkthrough. It's not as daunting as you may think.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

If you have knee issues I can hook you up with some time pedals to try.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
When the PR's felt impossible to reach while raising three knucklehead kids I bought a city bike that is easier to get around on. A long ride for me these days is 15-20 miles and it handles that distance a few times a week just fine. I like this Cannondale with a straight bar and a small front shock that can be locked and unlocked if you need it. I feel like its a great all around bike and takes the abuse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badboy.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	151950  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 14th, 2016, 02:56 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
How long of a distance are you looking to ride?

If it's short I will throw another option out there: single speed with plastic flat pedals and flat bar.

The only time I ride road is at my in-laws place in FL and I keep an old Kona single speed and I can ride it with flip flops and board shorts to the beach. In sneakers and shorts I can ride a few miles very comfortably.

Obviously get a good helmet and a light in the back if riding around Boston but you might not need a complex rig.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted