Aircon kit for 3.5l v8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old December 16th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Landyman1
Landyman
1983 land rover 110 county

Aircon kit for 3.5l v8

Hello, Ive got a 1983 land rover defender with a 3.5l v8. It is rhd. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any kits for this engine to fit in this defender. Any ideas or recommendations would be great! Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 01:37 AM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

How about converting to LHD and building a custom dash... follow my project here :

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=42326
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post
Hello, Ive got a 1983 land rover defender with a 3.5l v8. It is rhd. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any kits for this engine to fit in this defender. Any ideas or recommendations would be great! Cheers!
post this in parts wanted- not website suggestions

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2013, 10:14 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Something tells me you're being too specific in your search, using the 3.5 V8 as the reason you can't find anything exactly specific to your set-up. There are many A/C threads on this forum where people have posted their solutions. Search vintage air.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:12 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Something tells me you're being too specific in your search, using the 3.5 V8 as the reason you can't find anything exactly specific to your set-up. There are many A/C threads on this forum where people have posted their solutions. Search vintage air.
I already did and talked to them. They said they didnt know what a Land Rover Defender was. When I told them to look it up and call me back they did but after finding out it was RHD they said good luck and goodbye.
Old December 16th, 2013, 11:34 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You can purchase kits readily. It is also easy to adapt a 300tdi ac system to v8- just did one. Cost about $175 to have two custom lines made up.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old December 16th, 2013, 11:36 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48220
Old December 23rd, 2013, 05:03 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

We just did an install using a proper Defender kit. Bit of work to make it fit a 3.5 properly but we have all the knowledge in hand. We used a V8 system

Old December 23rd, 2013, 09:57 PM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

We did that install and have the full list of parts needed. If you want to send me a PM, I'll get a quote worked up for you.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 11:21 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyoh View Post
We did that install and have the full list of parts needed. If you want to send me a PM, I'll get a quote worked up for you.
PM sent.
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:25 PM
Landyman1
Landyman

Quote:
i have a 3.5l v8 and am looking for an aircon kit. Can you send me a quote as well. Also, can you send me the full list of parts needed. Thanks!

------ Follow up post added December 24th, 2013 04:25 PM ------

Quote:
PM sent
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:19 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landyman1 View Post

Installing an AC in a RHD 3.5 can go several ways.

Option 1: Install a generic System

Where this will be the least expensive option to many Defender owners this may not be the best option. This is mostly due to the fact that the system will not appear to be factory like in appearance while the functionality will be basically the same. Your knees will be rather cold.
If you decide on the aftermarket option Oscar has posted one possible solution as seen below:

Option 2: Install a proper Defender System:

In my opinion, the proper Defender AC kit is the most desirable way to go. Regretfully no one makes a commercial off the shelf kit for the 3.5 (RHD or LHD). This is due (in part) to the fact that there are several different belt / pulley configurations possible on the front of your engine. To properly quote the job the shop needs to know how the front end of the engine is configured.

Cost analysis suggests that its best to order the proper V8 system from Rovers North as they have a kit that has most of the parts as a kit and custom hoses will not be required. Cost for the kit is approximately $3100.00 shipped into Florida.

Most 3.5 front covers do not have the fixing point for the AC tensioner. To overcome this you can swap the front cover, install a 3.9 or simply adjust the AC belt tension with the PS pump. Of course using the PS pump is the cheapest option (unless you want more power).

With the proper AC kit youíll still need a few parts to relocate the alternator to the opposite side of the engine. This is done to allow the kit hoses to work without modification. The pulley alignment is straight forward and does not require any additional parts except for 1 pulley. You wonít need the pulley if your water pump pulley has an extra grove.

In addition to setting up the engine properly the bonnet release has to be reconfigured unless it is cable operated but no parts are required for this step.

The total job requires 6-7 hours of labor. $45.00 AC Charge, 2 new local auto parts store belts and one pulley (610792). Estimated cost is $4000.00 - $4200.00 installed

Hope this helps.

Old December 26th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Do I need to buy a RHD vent kit from the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariHP View Post
Installing an AC in a RHD 3.5 can go several ways.

Option 1: Install a generic System

Where this will be the least expensive option to many Defender owners this may not be the best option. This is mostly due to the fact that the system will not appear to be factory like in appearance while the functionality will be basically the same. Your knees will be rather cold.
If you decide on the aftermarket option Oscar has posted one possible solution as seen below:

Option 2: Install a proper Defender System:

In my opinion, the proper Defender AC kit is the most desirable way to go. Regretfully no one makes a commercial off the shelf kit for the 3.5 (RHD or LHD). This is due (in part) to the fact that there are several different belt / pulley configurations possible on the front of your engine. To properly quote the job the shop needs to know how the front end of the engine is configured.

Cost analysis suggests that its best to order the proper V8 system from Rovers North as they have a kit that has most of the parts as a kit and custom hoses will not be required. Cost for the kit is approximately $3100.00 shipped into Florida.

Most 3.5 front covers do not have the fixing point for the AC tensioner. To overcome this you can swap the front cover, install a 3.9 or simply adjust the AC belt tension with the PS pump. Of course using the PS pump is the cheapest option (unless you want more power).

With the proper AC kit youíll still need a few parts to relocate the alternator to the opposite side of the engine. This is done to allow the kit hoses to work without modification. The pulley alignment is straight forward and does not require any additional parts except for 1 pulley. You wonít need the pulley if your water pump pulley has an extra grove.

In addition to setting up the engine properly the bonnet release has to be reconfigured unless it is cable operated but no parts are required for this step.

The total job requires 6-7 hours of labor. $45.00 AC Charge, 2 new local auto parts store belts and one pulley (610792). Estimated cost is $4000.00 - $4200.00 installed

Hope this helps.
Old December 26th, 2013, 07:35 PM
SafariHP
Safari Heritage Parts
1983 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
Do I need to buy a RHD vent kit from the UK?
Evening

From experience its best to buy the whole kit as you will likely find that buying piece parts will end up costing more at the end of the day. We have a truck in here now for the same fitment and the customer has the lower section only but needs the compressor, brackets, hoses etc and at the end of the day all the bits add up to more than just buying the complete system. Napa does carry the compressor and most of the brackets you can find second hand so that will save some dollars.

Old December 26th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariHP View Post
Evening

From experience its best to buy the whole kit as you will likely find that buying piece parts will end up costing more at the end of the day. We have a truck in here now for the same fitment and the customer has the lower section only but needs the compressor, brackets, hoses etc and at the end of the day all the bits add up to more than just buying the complete system. Napa does carry the compressor and most of the brackets you can find second hand so that will save some dollars.
Copy that. On my list of future upgrades. When will the kits be back in stock?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted