300tdi and accessories - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Cal's Avatar
Cal
Status: Offline
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Camp Pendleton, California, US
Posts: 84
Registry
300tdi and accessories

I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00.

I currently don't have space to store the parts, so I would rather not buy them all piece by piece. If anyone knows any info as to who I can talk to in order to buy or import a complete kit, or if anyone magically has one for sale, please let me know.

So far I know UrbanLandcruisers.com, laughsandlashings.blogspot.com and landroverimport.com all supposedly sell complete kits, but I have heard bad things about all of them. If anyone has any first hand experience with these folks, I would like to hear your story.

Thank's,
-Cal
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:51 PM
roverman2010's Avatar
roverman2010
Status: Online
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Galveston Island, NearTexas
Posts: 2,331
Registry
check out Roversnorth clearance section
__________________
Edward Teach is the Blackbeard, and is a member of the Birmabright Brotherhood.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Mybluett's Avatar
Mybluett
Status: Offline
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Posts: 2,015
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00.

I currently don't have space to store the parts, so I would rather not buy them all piece by piece. If anyone knows any info as to who I can talk to in order to buy or import a complete kit, or if anyone magically has one for sale, please let me know.

So far I know UrbanLandcruisers.com, laughsandlashings.blogspot.com and landroverimport.com all supposedly sell complete kits, but I have heard bad things about all of them. If anyone has any first hand experience with these folks, I would like to hear your story.

Thank's,
-Cal
Cal - send an email and lets talk this weekend.

brian@defendersnw.com
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old April 9th, 2015, 07:30 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,085
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
check out Roversnorth clearance section
x2. That looks like it is a very decent deal. You will need the other $1500 for spares and shipping.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00...
-Cal
Cal:
Welcome to the pre-TDI planning world.
Going from a 2.5 N/A to a 200TDI is a "giant step", but going to a 300TDI is a "long jump".
The 200 bolts right in where but the 300 involves welding on new frame mounts, a different gearbox, and so on.

I know you are somewhat new to the Land Rover fun and wrenching games and wanted to be clear the distinct differences among the 200 and 300 TDI conversions.

Hope this helps.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Rocky's Avatar
Rocky
Status: Offline
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Colonies Aka Boston
Posts: 8,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
check out Roversnorth clearance section
Looks like a D1 r380 300 tdi set up not a Defender based on the position of the shifter.

But I could be wrong.
__________________
A friend of mine runs a land rover / range rover specialty repair shop. Based on his experience, they are capable of stopping anywhere, anytime, at any cost.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:11 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
check out Roversnorth clearance section
X3.
The really good thing about RN is they stand firmly behind what they sell, although this may not always apply to clearance items.
RM = good people!
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM
jafir's Avatar
jafir
Status: Offline
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Centerton, AR
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Looks like a D1 r380 300 tdi set up not a Defender based on the position of the shifter. But I could be wrong.

It is advertised as a D1 setup, and has a disco console. Still looks like a great price to me.

I know I've asked this before but I don't recall can the disco r380 be converted to a defender style? Or is it better to just buy the correct transmission?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
It is advertised as a D1 setup, and has a disco console. Still looks like a great price to me.

I know I've asked this before but I don't recall can the disco r380 be converted to a defender style? Or is it better to just buy the correct transmission?
Yes it can, check the Ashcroft site for more details.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Z.G's Avatar
Z.G
Status: Offline
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 4,684
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
X3.
The really good thing about RN is they stand firmly behind what they sell, although this may not always apply to clearance items.
RM = good people!
We do support the engine kits typically, we just ordered a new head for a conversion kit installed in 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:11 AM
RBBailey
Status: Offline
RBBailey
1965 IIa
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Damascus, Oregon
Posts: 1,580
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Yes it can, check the Ashcroft site for more details.
What are we looking for?

When someone says to a noob like me, that the R380 in a Disco is different than in the set up for a Defender, go check it out... Not even sure where to start.

Are you speaking of the ratio? Length, mounting, splines, tunnel, shifter, etc...?
__________________
Project:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:55 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
What are we looking for?

When someone says to a noob like me, that the R380 in a Disco is different than in the set up for a Defender, go check it out... Not even sure where to start.

Are you speaking of the ratio? Length, mounting, splines, tunnel, shifter, etc...?
Specifically the transmission (main gearbox) shift assembly (mechanism) being different among a Defender style and non-Defender style like Disco for example.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Cal's Avatar
Cal
Status: Offline
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Camp Pendleton, California, US
Posts: 84
Registry
Wow! I search Rovers North all the time and I have never seen these engine kits. Thanks for the heads up.

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2015 05:15 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Cal:
Welcome to the pre-TDI planning world.
Going from a 2.5 N/A to a 200TDI is a "giant step", but going to a 300TDI is a "long jump".
The 200 bolts right in where but the 300 involves welding on new frame mounts, a different gearbox, and so on.

I know you are somewhat new to the Land Rover fun and wrenching games and wanted to be clear the distinct differences among the 200 and 300 TDI conversions.

Hope this helps.
I am aware of the added hassles and expenses with the 300 vs 200, but it seems to me that the parts are a lot easier to find for the 300, and that was one of the main issues I was having with the 2.5na. So the little extra up front sounds like a safe investment. If I am wrong in assuming this, please feel free to correct me as a 200tdi sounds worlds easier and cheaper to install for me.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:46 PM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Wow! I search Rovers North all the time and I have never seen these engine kits. Thanks for the heads up.

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2015 05:15 PM ------



I am aware of the added hassles and expenses with the 300 vs 200, but it seems to me that the parts are a lot easier to find for the 300, and that was one of the main issues I was having with the 2.5na. So the little extra up front sounds like a safe investment. If I am wrong in assuming this, please feel free to correct me as a 200tdi sounds worlds easier and cheaper to install for me.
Cal:
While parts are more readily available for the 300TDI, in order to install it n you ride, you'll need to weld new mounts on the frame, have a 300TDI Defender radiator frame and intercooler, fan schroud, and so on.

The 200TDI bolts right into your vehicle without welding on new mounts.

Your choice.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old April 11th, 2015, 01:07 AM
the rover shop
Status: Offline
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ft lauderdale florida
Posts: 5,225
But if you go the 300 tdi route I think you get that boonus 5 HP and most people say they are worse on gas consumption..at least when used aggressively..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:27 AM
1of40's Avatar
1of40
Status: Offline
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Potomac Falls & Wintergreen, Virginia
Posts: 6,085
Registry
I'm not sure yet which 200tdi parts are tough to find. I'm far from finished with my 200 swap but thus far parts have not been difficult to locate. (Btw, the vendors that support us in this crazy hobby are excellent to work with.) I will say the whole process takes planning/thinking ahead and knowing what is around the next corner probably either way.

Clay
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:55 AM
rijosho's Avatar
rijosho
Status: Offline
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NYC
Posts: 16,557
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Cal: While parts are more readily available for the 300TDI, in order to install it n you ride, you'll need to weld new mounts on the frame, have a 300TDI Defender radiator frame and intercooler, fan schroud, and so on. The 200TDI bolts right into your vehicle without welding on new mounts. Your choice.
Yeah that's what we told him in his other thread - repair his 2.5, get another (which he's been offered for free or close to it I believe), or go 200tdi...but he's looking for a 300tdi now I guess.
__________________
Quote:
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
meatblanket's Avatar
meatblanket
Status: Offline
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Golden CO USA
Posts: 582
Registry
200tdi parts availability has never been an issue for me. I wouldn't allow that to drive your decision in choosing between the 200 and 300.


The 300tdi has some advantages though. You get what looks like a better rear main seal setup, no aluminum stiffening ladder is needed, you get a serpentine belt set up that will run a higher output alternator, a more a advanced timing belt tensioner, etc. The 200tdi also has a stupid coolant outlet on the cylinder head that, if it springs a leak at the gasket, requires removal of the entire timing case to repair.


Whether that is worth the extra trouble and expense of the install is up to you, but make sure you understand the pros (minor 300tdi advantages) versus the cons (more expensive and complicated install) before you make the decision.


I'm very happy with the 200tdi in my exmod and I don't think it would have been worth the extra hassle to install a 300tdi. That said, if I could snap my fingers and my 200tdi would instantly turn into a 300, then I would probably do that.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
rdavisinva's Avatar
rdavisinva
Status: Offline
Robert Davis
N/A
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 6,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I am aware of the added hassles and expenses with the 300 vs 200, but it seems to me that the parts are a lot easier to find for the 300, and that was one of the main issues I was having with the 2.5na. So the little extra up front sounds like a safe investment. If I am wrong in assuming this, please feel free to correct me as a 200tdi sounds worlds easier and cheaper to install for me.
The only difficult to locate 200TDI parts are the NLS cylinder heads, front covers, and the turbo heat shield (Defender version).
A 300TDI head will go right onto a 200TDI, but some coolant plumbing and temp sensor adapting is required.

The main difference is the 200TDI has coolant flowing through the front cover and the gaskets often blow out when the head gasket fails.
This requires a complete tear down of the front of the engine to fix the offending front cover leak.
The 300TDI does not have coolant flowing through the front cover in the same way.
If the system pressurizes the 300TDI "P" gasket is easily replaced.
__________________
RDavisinVA

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old April 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Red90's Avatar
Red90
Status: Online
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Posts: 9,248
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The only difficult to locate 200TDI parts are the NLS cylinder heads, front covers, and the turbo heat shield (Defender version).
A 300TDI head will go right onto a 200TDI, but some coolant plumbing and temp sensor adapting is required.
Turner's sells heads now, so it is not an issue.

Fitting a 300 head is more involved than that. You need to change pistons as well due to the different nozzles and combustion chambers.

300s seem to have a lot of other issues, like overheating.
__________________
Pissing people off on the "net" since 1983.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
300tdi, ac, tdi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wavian NATO Military Jerry Cans and Accessories atlcruiser The Vendors Loft 22 December 10th, 2014 02:54 PM
Defender Parts and Accessories Links and Sites silby32 Misc. Chit-Chat 0 December 27th, 2011 10:54 PM
FS: Misc Accessories and Literature mpodgorski For Sale - Parts 4 August 19th, 2008 06:45 PM
Parts and Accessories for sale! A little of everything 64rovr For Sale - Parts 1 January 20th, 2008 04:57 PM
Ordering parts and accessories from across the pond shawnpalmer Misc. Chit-Chat 6 October 18th, 2006 04:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 AM.


Copyright