Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 8th, 2015, 11:29 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
300tdi and accessories

I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00.

I currently don't have space to store the parts, so I would rather not buy them all piece by piece. If anyone knows any info as to who I can talk to in order to buy or import a complete kit, or if anyone magically has one for sale, please let me know.

So far I know UrbanLandcruisers.com, laughsandlashings.blogspot.com and landroverimport.com all supposedly sell complete kits, but I have heard bad things about all of them. If anyone has any first hand experience with these folks, I would like to hear your story.

Thank's,
-Cal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2015, 11:51 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
check out Roversnorth clearance section

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old April 8th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00.

I currently don't have space to store the parts, so I would rather not buy them all piece by piece. If anyone knows any info as to who I can talk to in order to buy or import a complete kit, or if anyone magically has one for sale, please let me know.

So far I know UrbanLandcruisers.com, laughsandlashings.blogspot.com and landroverimport.com all supposedly sell complete kits, but I have heard bad things about all of them. If anyone has any first hand experience with these folks, I would like to hear your story.

Thank's,
-Cal
Cal - send an email and lets talk this weekend.

brian@defendersnw.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2015, 07:30 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverman2010 View Post
x2. That looks like it is a very decent deal. You will need the other $1500 for spares and shipping.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:22 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
I want to buy a running 300tdi with low miles along with everything needed to swap it (turbo, starter, fuel system, alternator, PS pump, water pump etc..) into an exmod 110 that currently has a 2.5 NA. My budget is $5000.00...
-Cal
Cal:
Welcome to the pre-TDI planning world.
Going from a 2.5 N/A to a 200TDI is a "giant step", but going to a 300TDI is a "long jump".
The 200 bolts right in where but the 300 involves welding on new frame mounts, a different gearbox, and so on.

I know you are somewhat new to the Land Rover fun and wrenching games and wanted to be clear the distinct differences among the 200 and 300 TDI conversions.

Hope this helps.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old April 9th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Looks like a D1 r380 300 tdi set up not a Defender based on the position of the shifter.

But I could be wrong.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:11 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
X3.
The really good thing about RN is they stand firmly behind what they sell, although this may not always apply to clearance items.
RM = good people!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old April 9th, 2015, 10:19 AM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Looks like a D1 r380 300 tdi set up not a Defender based on the position of the shifter. But I could be wrong.

It is advertised as a D1 setup, and has a disco console. Still looks like a great price to me.

I know I've asked this before but I don't recall can the disco r380 be converted to a defender style? Or is it better to just buy the correct transmission?
Old April 9th, 2015, 10:23 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
It is advertised as a D1 setup, and has a disco console. Still looks like a great price to me.

I know I've asked this before but I don't recall can the disco r380 be converted to a defender style? Or is it better to just buy the correct transmission?
Yes it can, check the Ashcroft site for more details.

Old April 9th, 2015, 10:26 AM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
X3.
The really good thing about RN is they stand firmly behind what they sell, although this may not always apply to clearance items.
RM = good people!
We do support the engine kits typically, we just ordered a new head for a conversion kit installed in 2012.
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:11 AM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Quote:
Yes it can, check the Ashcroft site for more details.
What are we looking for?

When someone says to a noob like me, that the R380 in a Disco is different than in the set up for a Defender, go check it out... Not even sure where to start.

Are you speaking of the ratio? Length, mounting, splines, tunnel, shifter, etc...?

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old April 9th, 2015, 11:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBailey View Post
What are we looking for?

When someone says to a noob like me, that the R380 in a Disco is different than in the set up for a Defender, go check it out... Not even sure where to start.

Are you speaking of the ratio? Length, mounting, splines, tunnel, shifter, etc...?
Specifically the transmission (main gearbox) shift assembly (mechanism) being different among a Defender style and non-Defender style like Disco for example.

Old April 10th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Wow! I search Rovers North all the time and I have never seen these engine kits. Thanks for the heads up.

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2015 05:15 PM ------

Quote:
Cal:
Welcome to the pre-TDI planning world.
Going from a 2.5 N/A to a 200TDI is a "giant step", but going to a 300TDI is a "long jump".
The 200 bolts right in where but the 300 involves welding on new frame mounts, a different gearbox, and so on.

I know you are somewhat new to the Land Rover fun and wrenching games and wanted to be clear the distinct differences among the 200 and 300 TDI conversions.

Hope this helps.
I am aware of the added hassles and expenses with the 300 vs 200, but it seems to me that the parts are a lot easier to find for the 300, and that was one of the main issues I was having with the 2.5na. So the little extra up front sounds like a safe investment. If I am wrong in assuming this, please feel free to correct me as a 200tdi sounds worlds easier and cheaper to install for me.
Old April 10th, 2015, 10:46 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Wow! I search Rovers North all the time and I have never seen these engine kits. Thanks for the heads up.

------ Follow up post added April 10th, 2015 05:15 PM ------

I am aware of the added hassles and expenses with the 300 vs 200, but it seems to me that the parts are a lot easier to find for the 300, and that was one of the main issues I was having with the 2.5na. So the little extra up front sounds like a safe investment. If I am wrong in assuming this, please feel free to correct me as a 200tdi sounds worlds easier and cheaper to install for me.
Cal:
While parts are more readily available for the 300TDI, in order to install it n you ride, you'll need to weld new mounts on the frame, have a 300TDI Defender radiator frame and intercooler, fan schroud, and so on.

The 200TDI bolts right into your vehicle without welding on new mounts.

Your choice.

Old April 11th, 2015, 01:07 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

But if you go the 300 tdi route I think you get that boonus 5 HP and most people say they are worse on gas consumption..at least when used aggressively..
Old April 11th, 2015, 07:27 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I'm not sure yet which 200tdi parts are tough to find. I'm far from finished with my 200 swap but thus far parts have not been difficult to locate. (Btw, the vendors that support us in this crazy hobby are excellent to work with.) I will say the whole process takes planning/thinking ahead and knowing what is around the next corner probably either way.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 11th, 2015, 08:55 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Cal: While parts are more readily available for the 300TDI, in order to install it n you ride, you'll need to weld new mounts on the frame, have a 300TDI Defender radiator frame and intercooler, fan schroud, and so on. The 200TDI bolts right into your vehicle without welding on new mounts. Your choice.
Yeah that's what we told him in his other thread - repair his 2.5, get another (which he's been offered for free or close to it I believe), or go 200tdi...but he's looking for a 300tdi now I guess.
Old April 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
200tdi parts availability has never been an issue for me. I wouldn't allow that to drive your decision in choosing between the 200 and 300.

The 300tdi has some advantages though. You get what looks like a better rear main seal setup, no aluminum stiffening ladder is needed, you get a serpentine belt set up that will run a higher output alternator, a more a advanced timing belt tensioner, etc. The 200tdi also has a stupid coolant outlet on the cylinder head that, if it springs a leak at the gasket, requires removal of the entire timing case to repair.

Whether that is worth the extra trouble and expense of the install is up to you, but make sure you understand the pros (minor 300tdi advantages) versus the cons (more expensive and complicated install) before you make the decision.

I'm very happy with the 200tdi in my exmod and I don't think it would have been worth the extra hassle to install a 300tdi. That said, if I could snap my fingers and my 200tdi would instantly turn into a 300, then I would probably do that.
Old April 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
The only difficult to locate 200TDI parts are the NLS cylinder heads, front covers, and the turbo heat shield (Defender version).
A 300TDI head will go right onto a 200TDI, but some coolant plumbing and temp sensor adapting is required.

The main difference is the 200TDI has coolant flowing through the front cover and the gaskets often blow out when the head gasket fails.
This requires a complete tear down of the front of the engine to fix the offending front cover leak.
The 300TDI does not have coolant flowing through the front cover in the same way.
If the system pressurizes the 300TDI "P" gasket is easily replaced.

Old April 13th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
The only difficult to locate 200TDI parts are the NLS cylinder heads, front covers, and the turbo heat shield (Defender version).
A 300TDI head will go right onto a 200TDI, but some coolant plumbing and temp sensor adapting is required.
Turner's sells heads now, so it is not an issue.

Fitting a 300 head is more involved than that. You need to change pistons as well due to the different nozzles and combustion chambers.

300s seem to have a lot of other issues, like overheating.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
300tdi, ac, tdi