Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 13th, 2015, 12:17 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Fitting a 300 head is more involved than that. You need to change pistons as well due to the different nozzles and combustion chambers.
I've done 3.
Fitting new pistons is not required.
I think the 200TDI and 300TDI pistons don't interchange anyway.
The injectors and even the injector lines are different , so the 300TDI ones need to be used (forgot about that... thanks for reminding).

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 13th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The location of the combustion chamber is different on the two pistons due to the different location of the injector nozzle. You won't get proper combustion and will probably side load the pistons more than they should be. It may "work", but not properly.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:10 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Yeah that's what we told him in his other thread - repair his 2.5, get another (which he's been offered for free or close to it I believe), or go 200tdi...but he's looking for a 300tdi now I guess.
I have been offered a ton of help with getting a different 2.5, but I don't have the ability to get a new engine without shipping it. I argued to my wife that if I am going to spend the money shipping an engine, I might as well get a better one. She finally caved and gave me the ok to spend the money on a new engine whether it be a 200 or a 300. A 200 tdi was my first choice because it is easier to install and cheaper in the short term, but I have since been told many times over that a 300 tdi is a safer option in the long run because being newer and having a longer sale run means part availability will be better for a longer time frame. I have also found that the 200tdi's that I am able to find are around a grand more expensive. So I figure, spend an extra grand on an engine with parts that might be hard to find, or spend the money having someone fab a 300 tdi in that will be less rare in a decade or two.

Honestly I am open to both a 200tdi and a 300tdi as long as it is in good working order and has low miles. Either one is a step up from my non-working 2.5na.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 14th, 2015, 06:41 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Cal, my advice is to take the time to find an engine know/documented history so you can budget for what makes sense to address before the install. Rolling the dice on an old unknown engine makes zero sense to me.

Clay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 14th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Cal
Cal Thompson
1987/110 3 door ExMod

Registry
I pulled the trigger on a defender 200tdi from Rovers North clearance because the price seemed right and they were very helpful on the phone. Thank you all for the help. I'll try to make a detailed post with pictures about my swap. That way I can get some help from everyone here, and hopefully my struggles will help someone else in the future.
Old April 14th, 2015, 10:49 PM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Cal: Welcome to the pre-TDI planning world. Going from a 2.5 N/A to a 200TDI is a "giant step", but going to a 300TDI is a "long jump". The 200 bolts right in where but the 300 involves welding on new frame mounts, a different gearbox, and so on. I know you are somewhat new to the Land Rover fun and wrenching games and wanted to be clear the distinct differences among the 200 and 300 TDI conversions. Hope this helps.
Not all 200tdi bolts in. I put a Discovery 200tdi in my truck and had a few setbacks before getting it str8. Good luck with your project.

------ Follow up post added April 14th, 2015 08:57 PM ------

Not all 200tdi bolts in. I put a Discovery 200tdi in my truck and had a few setbacks before getting it str8. Also, the 300tdi doesn't offer more hp. I was told that the 200tdi was a stronger engine. I preferred the 200tdi because I like the fact that if one belt broke I wasn't totally stranded. Then again, I read that the 300tdi were quieter. They're both good and it'll be an huge upgrade from both the 2.5 & 2.5td.

Good luck with your project.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
300tdi, ac, tdi