300 Tdi Fuel Tank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

300 Tdi Fuel Tank

Well, I realize this may be a long shot in the states but anyone out there w/ a 300 Tdi fuel tank that doesnt leak for sale?

Tried all the usual resources so I'm hoping someone out there has one they're looking to get rid of. Please reply to mark@tasctech.com

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Rear tank? Side tank? A V8 tank can be used in the rear location, some of the usual suspects have the side tank from time to time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

300 tdi side tank

That would be a side tank, oem 300 Tdi 1995 vintage. I was surprised that at least so far anyway none of the usual resources have any.

The Series II and III tanks would be too much hasel to re-work so I'm just hoping that someone has one out there that is collecting dust somewhere.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I'm guessing that size box would cost 100-120 to UPS from the UK, so if you can find a decent one for sale there (and you probably can at a reasonable cost) just have it shipped over.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:39 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Box

Yes, about 144.00 actually.

Have you had any experience with or heard of the aftermarket plastic tank for these trucks that is made in the UK?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure haven't, but its an interesting idea. In general I like a plastic tank. If you go that direction I'd love to hear about it.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Plastic Tank

Thanks, if I do I'll keep you posted.

From what I'm hearing, this may be the direction that the aftermarketeers are headed in. If I go that route I'll keep everyone posted here as to what my findings are
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I bought a side tank for a D90 from Paddock earlier this year and the tank cost was abot 67#.
I had several other items shipped at the same time and the cost for shipping was 92#.

Also - I have the original tank that had a slight leak when filled more than half way - I assume it leaked at the seam - might me able to weld it - if you want it you can have it.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:00 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

My Old home town- Somerville

Hey there pmd,

Your in my old home town! I am probably one of the few on this site that would admit Somerville as my place of birth.

None the less- strange as it may seem, it appears we have something else in common right from the start- A leaky tank when filled more than half way. Beyond that I'd have to do some wrenching to find out exactly what was going on where.

I'll pass on the old tank for now unless I cant get something to work out but please do tell me, did you buy oem from paddock or was it one of the aftermarket tanks- metal or plastic?

Mark
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:08 PM
pmd
Paul Dandini

Mark,
Metal tank - Part#FULESR2242
Did you try Rovers North or TLR http://www.tntlr.com ?

FYI - I've lived here in Somerville for about 12 years - seams like most of the townies have sold out and moved on to greener places.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 02:29 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Full metal Tank

Thanks Paul,

I called the aformentioned and they are trying to figure out what a 300 Tdi is. At least they answered the phone. I guess celebrity status of some shops has them now not answering unless it has a familiar ring to it ($$).

I'm still in the hunt and I apprecaite the help.

There are still a few natives left from the old home town up there on Monmouth Street but like everywhere else, the place has changed. One good thing is Red Bones over in Davis. A guy can get a good rack of ribs at that place.

Mark
Old September 24th, 2008, 02:10 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone have a rear tank? I am looking for one as well. The plastic side tank sounds like a good Idea. No corrosion issues
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Tanks allot

Hey Randy, Looks like you could check some of the resources mentioned by pmd below.

As I made the rounds (again) yesterday on this, I was reminded not much has changed at a few shops. Thats if they even answer the phone.

Plastic tank is on it's way from the UK. I'm surprised that someone would spring for tooling costs but that in itself indicates a pretty strong demand for this part.
Old September 24th, 2008, 04:28 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How much did you pay and from where? I will need a new side tank eventually myself
Old September 25th, 2008, 05:22 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

Plastic Aftermarket Tank

I just ordered it up through RN. 295.00 for the tank. I'm in a pinch so I sprang for the dough. starting to cause environmental issues etc.
Old September 25th, 2008, 07:37 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
They have it in stock? Their catalog and website sux, you never know whats available.

Old September 25th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough

long way from the UK/ India

Their catalouge does suc but they have chipper people answering the phone. Had to order it special.

These merchants all tout Tdi this or that but what they stock on the shelf are air filters. Thats about it.

At least thats better than the celebreties over near the coast. They dont answer their phone unless you have a reservation. These days I guess they've given up on joe average that runs these as actual transportation. They shut off the parts bit and I guess spend the balance of time counting money from the vinyard crowd.

Getting a bit frustrating watching the parts and labor prices go up on a vehical you can buy in the UK for 12K but to each is own I guess.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:07 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Who sells parts near the coast? I don't really follow you since labor costs are labor costs, and RN is the most expensive parts source out there.

Nevertheless, I'm very interested to see how this tank works out. Seems that it would take longer for RN to special order something and send it to you than it would be just to order it from ol' blighty, but I don't have all your info in front of me.

Old September 26th, 2008, 08:37 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini

JimC,
Looks like you might be in Cambridge - I am in the adjacent city - if you want to see a euro side tank installed pm me.
Paul
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:59 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got a euro side tank on my truck, I just want to see how this plastic doobajobby looks, fits, and works.

I'm always happy to get together though!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
300 tdi, fuel, fuel tank, tdi