Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old April 18th, 2016, 12:26 AM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
3.9l torque converter/flexplate assembly

looking to buy a torque converter and flexplate etc from a 3.9l v8.
If you have something please post or pm me with price including shipping to canadian postal code v9n 9e3

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2016, 04:14 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Will a torque converter and flexplate from an 89 RR 3.9L fit?
Old April 19th, 2016, 12:56 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Yes it will. But why would you want a used torque converter? If it's any good, it would usually stay with the tranny it came from, and if the tranny's toast, so is the converter. If you have a good used tranny but no converter, best to buy a new one.
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 19th, 2016, 01:05 AM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
I can only seem to find one from ashcroft. Price isnt bad exactly but then 150BGP core charge plus shipping...
it seems like the 4.0 torque converter can be found for a couple hundred bucks but the only 3.9 torque converters i've googled up ring in at over 1000$. maybe my google-fu is weak

My tranny may or may not be good.. it was free. It came with a torque converter but it was for a 4.0
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:17 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

Yeah, the 4.0 converter definitely won't work...don't ask me how I know!

Have you only looked online, or have you checked with any transmission shops? My local tranny shop says he can get them. Another place to check is MZF Bayer/Peter Schmid Transmissions in Burlingame, Calif. They specialize in German transmissions.

MZF Bayer-Transmissions Rebuilt San Francisco San Mateo

Is there any oil at all left in your free tranny? If you put a pan under it and turn it up on the bellhousing you should be able to get some dregs out of it, then you can see what it looks like: nice and bright red, or dark red, or dark opaque almost black. Pull the pan off and see if there's any gunk or metal particles in the bottom. I'd definitely verify that it's in decent shape before I spent any money on a converter.
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:23 AM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
thats some good points.. I'll take a look . There is some oil in the converter and it seems to be a not super dark red but then the lighting to look at it isnt great.
I havent been too concerned with whether this free tranny is good or not because I'm probably going to buy a disco for parts anyway, usually its an engine issue of they are parts rigs. my hang up is that I really can only use the TC from a '95. '96 to '99 are easy enough to come by but struggling to get a good price on a '95 for parts. If i can get a good TC for a 3.9 then I dont have to worry too much about which year I get
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:06 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

The oil in that 4.0 converter isn't going to tell you the condition of the other tranny if it wasn't run on it. You need to see the oil from the tranny itself.

I think it might be helpful to know what it is you're doing here, if you're talking about Discos or RRCs or what. Sounds like you're talking about DIs, thus the reference to the '95 being different as it was the only DI with a 3.9...? FYI, RRC 2.9 and 4.2, which is '89 to '95 all have that same 4HP22 tranny and converter so those are good sources of parts. For that matter, not that I think of it, I'm not positive that the 4.0 converter won't work as long as it's from a GEMS truck which should still have a 4HP22 and not the later 4HP24, that's something I haven't really messed with. Can you post a pic of the converter? I can tell in a second if I can see it, mostly the side where it bolts to the flexplate.
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old April 19th, 2016, 02:18 AM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
Ahh yes.. well i can tell for sure that what I have wont work for my application as the mounting ring cant reach the flexplate because the pilot is the wrong size for my crank adapter

My application is a series truck that is getting a GM 4.3l v6 with adapter from marks 4wd in auz. to D1 drivetrain. It requires parts TC, flexplate etc from 3.9l. 4.0l is what i have. I'm not sure the specific truck it came out of but serial number on the transfer case indicate that at least was from a later model d1 '97-'99 as its got the lt230Q .
For this part in particular the range rover parts would work but for other aspects of my project I'm going to want d1 parts so I'm looking for that as my parts rig to cannibalize as i need.

edit to add:
the TC I have did in fact come from with the tranny I have
Old April 19th, 2016, 03:33 AM
TigerDan
Dan
1991 RRC

OK, now I understand. So the tranny is from a DI with a 4.0 and you specifically need the 3.5/3.9/4.2 style torque converter to mate up to the adapter in your kit. So it comes back to verifying that the tranny is worth putting different converter in, so yes, dump some of that fluid out of the converter since it's the easiest to handle, into a clear container so you can get a good look at it. I just did a tranny swap on a DII and the replacement tranny we got for it had some dregs of fluid left in it that was really dark, pretty much beyond Maroon, and opaque metallic. We didn't use the tranny, had to get another one. A friend of mine owns a tranny shop and I talked to him about it, he said the converters are not the strongest on these trannies and when they go, they spread metal through the tranny taking out the clutches. So if you do get a used converter, make sure that the fluid out of it is nice and clean, bright red and no trace of metal in it...and hope for the best!
1995 D90 project
1961 SII
Old April 19th, 2016, 10:30 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerRob View Post
looking to buy a torque converter and flexplate etc from a 3.9l v8.
If you have something please post or pm me with price including shipping to canadian postal code v9n 9e3

Thanks
Transtar corporation in Jessup Maryland has always been my go to people when it comes to any transmission parts..
Look them up...good luck...
Old April 30th, 2016, 07:42 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerDan View Post
OK, now I understand. So the tranny is from a DI with a 4.0 and you specifically need the 3.5/3.9/4.2 style torque converter to mate up to the adapter in your kit. So it comes back to verifying that the tranny is worth putting different converter in, so yes, dump some of that fluid out of the converter since it's the easiest to handle, into a clear container so you can get a good look at it. I just did a tranny swap on a DII and the replacement tranny we got for it had some dregs of fluid left in it that was really dark, pretty much beyond Maroon, and opaque metallic. We didn't use the tranny, had to get another one. A friend of mine owns a tranny shop and I talked to him about it, he said the converters are not the strongest on these trannies and when they go, they spread metal through the tranny taking out the clutches. So if you do get a used converter, make sure that the fluid out of it is nice and clean, bright red and no trace of metal in it...and hope for the best!
I appreciate the advice! I sourced a new torque converter and the fluid looks great in the pic the guy sent me... I did check the fluid from mine as well and I'm not super sure its OK. Its pretty dark red but doesn't have any burnt smell and didn't see any signs of metal shavings, filings or anything. Now I'm wondering if I should just buy the transmission from the guy as well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
assembly, flex