Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 6th, 2010, 03:53 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
3.9 EFi ECU Feeler

What is the going rate for a used 3.9 ECU and does anybody have one sitting around?

I have a friend with a Carb 3.5 110 that we are considering dropping a 3.9 into as his engine is probably toast. Think we can get hold of the engine and harness pretty easily, but don't want to point him down this path if the ECU is going to cost a trillion bucks.

Thanks

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

$50-150 used, closer to $50 unless you really need one asap.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:09 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
$50-150 used, closer to $50 unless you really need one asap.
Thanks Ron. I'll tell him to go down the 3.9 path then and post up if we need to get an ECU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Thanks Ron. I'll tell him to go down the 3.9 path then and post up if we need to get an ECU.
I bought one from Elias:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=2315
He may still have another...
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Old January 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham View Post
I bought one from Elias:
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...eferrerid=2315
He may still have another...
Thanks Jon, if we need one I will shoot Elias a PM.

Appreciate the help.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Once in a while you see a complete EFI system pop-up on e-bay. May be worth buying as a whole chunk, as there's a bunch of other parts you're going to need.

Or heck, Disco-I's are getting cheap enough in junkyards that it might be better to just buy a whole parts truck.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 6th, 2010, 08:22 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Once in a while you see a complete EFI system pop-up on e-bay. May be worth buying as a whole chunk, as there's a bunch of other parts you're going to need.

Or heck, Disco-I's are getting cheap enough in junkyards that it might be better to just buy a whole parts truck.

-Hans
Thanks Hans,

We have a scrap 89 RRC for the Engine/EFi harnesses and Y-Pipe (no ECU and bad engine). I am going to look over an Engine this weekend for him so with the engine (if its OK) and the bits from the RRC I think we're good for everything except an ECU, the fuel lines and a fuel pump. For the lines, we'll just have some made up and for the pump, probably an off the shelf one from an autoparts store.

Anything I forgot?

Thanks

Ian
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:11 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Thanks Hans,

We have a scrap 89 RRC for the Engine/EFi harnesses and Y-Pipe (no ECU and bad engine). I am going to look over an Engine this weekend for him so with the engine (if its OK) and the bits from the RRC I think we're good for everything except an ECU, the fuel lines and a fuel pump. For the lines, we'll just have some made up and for the pump, probably an off the shelf one from an autoparts store.

Anything I forgot?

Thanks

Ian
hmmmm...... I don't rememeber which year the switchover from the 13CU to 14CU/CUX efi system took place. It's right in the 1989/1990 timeframe. Does the RRC have a "Check Engine" and "Service Engine" light in the dash? Or just one that says "EFI"? If it's choice #2, the harness may not work for you. Double check the mass-air sensor to see that it says 5AM on it, and snag the vehicle speed sensor as well.... it's a little box on the speedo cable between the speedo and transfer case.

-Hans

Old January 6th, 2010, 10:59 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Isn't the 14CUX still essentialy a seperate system between the engine and the ECU? I know it's partly wrapped up in the rest of the harness but essentially its a standalone set of wires and only needs to be fed power to work if you have all the sensors and parts? Yes there is some indicator wiring to the dash and the speed sensor to deal with but thats about it isn't it?

The RRC looks like a 14CUX version. ECU is under the pass seat (or would be if it wasn't missing). Can't look at it right now as it's in Tucson but from memory it looked the same as other 14CUX Trucks I have seen. It's been a long time since I messed with a Lucas EFi system though.

The 110 is an original 83 LHD 3.5 Carb. Plan is to strip the engine and ECU harness from the RRC, take power from the 110 harness somewhere and add any stuff like dash lights, speed sensors, electric fuel pump, etc.
Old January 7th, 2010, 12:51 PM
RoverDude
John Gadd
Many

Link to 4.2 ECU on eBay....LINK
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

14CUX is the model number of the ECU itself. A 14CU will also work, it's the version with the fuel map chip soldered in place instead of in a pop-out socket.

here is a good link describing (almost) all the components.

http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Rover-14CUX-EFI.htm

I'm going to have to dig up the model years that the EFI changeover took place in the RRC's

-Hans

------ Follow up post added January 7th, 2010 03:17 PM ------

Looked it up. '89 should be fine for the donor harness, it was the first year of the 14CU ECU, which is the Lucas Hot-Wire system. Truck also had the 3.9 and borg-warner transfer case, correct?

-Hans

Old January 8th, 2010, 04:33 AM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Thanks for the heads up on eBay.

Yes the RRC is a 3.9 and I think it had a BW T-Case (Trans and T-Case stayed with the PO) but i'll check the high/low shifter to make sure there's no diff lock next time I see it. Have to check if the speed sensor is still there or if it went with the trans. He kept some parts to use as spares or put on his new RRC. The EFi harness is complete but he kept the ECU. he also stripped the top end of the engine down for some reason so we are considering the engine as parts only. Have a lead on a different engine anyway if it checks out.

Want to transplant as much as possible to save on parts we have to source or fab. The ECU was the one part I was concerned about as I didn't know what the 2nd hand market for them was like. Looks like they are readily available though and fairly cheap.

His other option is to rebuild the 3.5 but the PO of the 110 boiled it so bad it blew a chunk out of one of the heads and popped a couple of freeze plugs so I reckon its not worth saving at this point.

Thanks for all the help.
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sounds like a neat project. Let us know how it goes and take pictures! A summary of the lessons learned would be great too. There are probably a lot of people who will end up going this route in the future.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Ok, so the engine we thought we had a line on is not going to work (incomplete). So change of plans. Told the owner to source a 94-95 Disco complete so we know that most of the bits we need are there and he'll spend about the same money. So we're on hold now while he locates a 'donor'.

Thanks for all the help and great advice and suggestions guys. I will try and get some photos or do a write up once we actually get this going or done.
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
RoverDude
John Gadd
Many

Quote:
Ok, so the engine we thought we had a line on is not going to work (incomplete). So change of plans. Told the owner to source a 94-95 Disco complete so we know that most of the bits we need are there and he'll spend about the same money. So we're on hold now while he locates a 'donor'.

Thanks for all the help and great advice and suggestions guys. I will try and get some photos or do a write up once we actually get this going or done.
I know of a couple 95 DI in Orange County CA. E-mail me if interested. roverdudeATsbcglobalDOTnet
Old January 9th, 2010, 05:56 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDude View Post
I know of a couple 95 DI in Orange County CA. E-mail me if interested. roverdudeATsbcglobalDOTnet
Thanks Roverdude. Sent you an email.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
ecu