Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old August 24th, 2007, 09:34 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
That's a me too on the Christian one. I plan to make my own, it's just a matter of finding the time. The 2" receiver can be bought at tractor supply, and I have enough steel plate to make a few of these. Maybe I'll beat rovertyme to it and if I do, I'll consider making additional ones.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2007, 10:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Design opinions wanted

Ok, I picked up a welder last weekend ( a Hobart Handler 175 ) and got some shop time in this evening. I would like some opinions on 2 designs I am considering.

Design goals:

1. Low profile and not reduce departure angle much if any
2. Doesn't need to be able to tow some outrageous load - maybe a small yard trailer, but will be used as the rear recovery point so it needs to be strong.

So I have 2 different designs, each with it's pros and cons.

Design #1

Fits the hitch closer to the frame (sticks out less) but has to be lowered a bit to make it tuck back. After looking at the pictures I realize as shown the gas tank skid probably wont be able to fit back in (has to be removed to bolt this up) but also realized that I can just cut the corner off the 2" piece to allow this. This method of mounting probably doesn't reduce the departure angle much and is less obtrusive. Notice I had to add a "shim" to lower it a bit to make it fit. I might be able to cut more off the 2" tube and remove this... Oh, not shown, but I need to add loops for the chains still.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch/DSC02214

Design #2

This design pushes the hitch rearward so as to resolve any clearance issues with the skid as as a result mounts a little higher. The retaining pin hole has to come in front on the vertical piece. Because it sticks out more, no shim is needed and I can also make a step (see the cardboard mockup) which would not only make it stronger, but I can make slots/holes for the chains in it as well. I think overall this reduces the departure angle slightly more but not much. The idea of having the step is starting to grow on me, making the fact that it is more obtrusive less bothersome.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch/DSC02220
http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch/DSC02221

All the pictures are here:

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch

Let me know what you think. I hope to find time to finish this up tomorrow (at least welded up).

charles
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
I vote for number 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2007, 11:44 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

#1`is the design that seems best to me.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah I think it best meets my design goals. I cut down the reciever tube and have it tucked up without the shim now so I'm happy. But I screwed up my measurements and drilled my holes wrong, so I'm switching to a wider stock plate which will give me enough room for holes for the chain hooks. Will post some pictures later once I redo all my work .
Old September 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I never got it completed before running out of time and didn't bother setting up a mockup to show the progress. The only thing left is to make the chain hook holes. My plan is to cut 2 relatively large holes/slots for the hooks, but this is probably the hardest thing to do with my limited tools. I might go back to plan A which was a small loop.

Anyone ever try use a keyhole saw to cut a hole in 5/16th steel?

Follow-up Post:

Actually i think I'll just make a 1/2" hole and hang one of these in it

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/new316ststqu1.html
or
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/product...stshackle.html

Anyone know of a cheap baby swivel shackle (can't remember what they are called)? I've googled but can't find any.
Old September 13th, 2007, 10:57 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Ok, finally found time to finish this up (it still needs painting though). I don't have a picture of it test fitted but will add one once painted.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch_final

Pretty happy with the result.

charles
Old September 14th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
Ok, finally found time to finish this up (it still needs painting though). I don't have a picture of it test fitted but will add one once painted.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch_final

Pretty happy with the result.

charles
Charles,

It looks great, I like it a lot!

I'll take one. Actually, I'll take the 4th one you make. By then your welds will be spot-on.

Here's my idea for a "receiver" that an assortment of attachments can be mounted onto (pintle, 2", etc). It's just a 3d image, obviously.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear2.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	10476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	10477  

Old September 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Yeah my welds are not the prettiest but the nice thing about this design is you don't really see any of them

I have seen a design like the one you show somewhere before. What's the advantage over attachments mounted on a 2" shaft? Also on mine I can still mount something like a dixon-bate jaw and still use the 2" receiver.

But that doesn't look too hard to make. What's the width of that channel? I'll keep an eye out when dumpster diving.
Attached Images

Old September 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The price differential between a 7,500 lb tow jaw and a 2"bar with a D ring on it wasn't that bad, so I got one and mounted in on the hitch plate as well. Other than the paint chipping easily I'm very happy with end result. I did have to cut a bit off the end of my hitch bar to clear the skid, so I may not be able to use someone else's without the same treatment, ie may not be too useful unless I come prepared, or keep a sawsall in the truck .

http://lhsw.com/gallery/hitch_final/DSC02267

Getting the backing plate in and the nuts on was a pita (but manged to do it without dropping the tank, just the skid). I had to enlist the help of my wife for an extra pair of hands. Having an 8 year old sitting in the back of the truck asking all kinds of questions is optional and discouraged - it's amazing how easily agitated you get after lying on your back for an extended period of time trying to hold things with a screw driver, telescoping magnet and your pinkies (the only fingers that fit between the crossmember and the tank)!

charles
Old September 30th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Looks pretty nice, now you can tow my trailer for me
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:48 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Nice work, Charles! Now to start mass producing them and you'll retire early!
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:50 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
OMG, I wouldn't make minimum wage at the rate it took me to make that one!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 04:53 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
OMG, I wouldn't make minimum wage at the rate it took me to make that one!
And that does not count handling the returns due to disatisfied customers because of the look of the welds! ;-)

I forgot to add: looks great!
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:06 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

His welds are NOT bad. I have seen much worse. It will just take a little practice and the 175 is a limited machine.

I just looked through this thread, and it reminded me of back when I had a frame. I think the best way to do this by far is to cut out a notch for the hitch and weld in 2in bar. It would be way lighter, just as strong and not hang down at all. But it is a one at a time solution.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
He's just busting my balls. I probably gave him sh*t about his welds on his sliders he made They may not win any awards, but I think they don't look bad for a first project and are plenty strong.

I think you are right about notching the frame as long as you don't mind the permanence. It would have to stick out somewhat to be able to put the pin in though.

charles
Old October 9th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Hitch

Here's one for sale in the UK. It has the adjustability that I was looking for, although it may extend a little lower than I would like.

http://www.mailorder4x4.com/acatalog/BA192A.jpg

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/car...sp?prodid=4081
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ba192a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	10655  
Attached Images

Old October 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Would you mount it without that extra reinforcement shown in the picture of one mounted on the truck? If not then it should be ok, but if yes, then it will have worse clearance than the NAS bumper!
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Quote:
Would you mount it without that extra reinforcement shown in the picture of one mounted on the truck? If not then it should be ok, but if yes, then it will have worse clearance than the NAS bumper!
Yeah, I know, I like the one on the right, but I don't want it to stick down below the crossmember when nothing is attached to it. Nice to know something like it exists though.
Old October 9th, 2007, 02:23 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
BTW, has anyone ordered from Craddocks? How do they handle shipping and is it reasonable? They say you need to order through the Barclaycard EPDQ credit card system.

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/content.asp?pageID=3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
hitch