Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:27 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
110 Roll Cage

Looking for a 110 full roll cage and rear ladder. Safety Devices or P&P style.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:31 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...85&postcount=1

you are both welcome.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 06:39 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Thanks!
(I'm open to cheaper options as well)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Why have I never seen that site?!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:09 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by curry View Post
Thanks!
(I'm open to cheaper options as well)
Don't know that you'd find a cheaper option than that (shipped for $3000)
Maybe I'm off, but isn't retail on the 1727 well over $3,000 w/o shipping?
Who's selling the snow, SHP and others? I'll let them chime in
Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:16 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
P&P will ship one to my door with rear ladder for $2750.
Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Skip P&P, they may be cheaper, but they are hideous, with awful bends, poor attention to aesthetics, and they don't follow body lines.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 11:58 PM
curry
brandon curry
Series 1 and 110.

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Skip P&P, they may be cheaper, but they are hideous, with awful bends, poor attention to aesthetics, and they don't follow body lines.
Wolf! Wish you were back so I could have you fab up a nice one for me. I'm not so confident in the abilities of your temporary replacement... (Lelo fab). I inquired about a rear NAS 110 ladder being fabbed up and he recommended this Dr. Seuss contraption:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-03 11.07.21.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	98006

I'd describe that ladder as hideous, with awful bends, poor attention to aesthetics, and doesn't follow body lines.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 06:51 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
That's quite a statement..and false with my experience. My p&p was spot on, beautifully made and looks great on my truck . Only complaint would be they did a shitty job of putting it on the shipping pallet.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:08 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Wolf! Wish you were back so I could have you fab up a nice one for me. I'm not so confident in the abilities of your temporary replacement... (Lelo fab). I inquired about a rear NAS 110 ladder being fabbed up and he recommended this Dr. Seuss contraption:
Attachment 98006

I'd describe that ladder as hideous, with awful bends, poor attention to aesthetics, and doesn't follow body lines.
Please forget Wolf, the sake went up on his head ( or as usual full of shit :-) )

I had a P&Pcage and was awesome, the finish was perfect
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110 red.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	98009  
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:36 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was referring to your truck too. I just think the cage looks off, the tube looks slightly smaller, and the design doesn't flow. Just my opinion. No sake for me. JD and Herradura are my vices. ------ Follow up post added July 3rd, 2014 08:36 PM ------
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
That's quite a statement..and false with my experience. My p&p was spot on, beautifully made and looks great on my truck . Only complaint would be they did a shitty job of putting it on the shipping pallet.
Purely an opinion, just like yours.

I've fabricated a lot of a cages in my time, installed one P&P and 2 SD cages, and I have owned 2 SD cages. IMO, SD is better. I am sure people can argue the opposite just like anything else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old July 3rd, 2014, 07:57 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 98006

Brandon, thanks for the feedback in a public forum but for the record, the ladder was what the customer requested. Calling bends poor or challenging attention to detail from a single isometric shot makes you a much better fabricator than me I'm sure.

For those not in the loop Brandon inquired about putting a NAS style ladder on the rear of his ROW truck to which I responded that it would be difficult because of the light placement and offered the one example I had of a ladder built for a ROW truck. He then asked how much for a full cage which I declined based on the fact that building a custom full cage without the truck would be virtually impossible.

Good luck in your search Brandon.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:21 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 98006

First, While I may not be a fan of the aesthetics of this ladder design, this is a real unnecessary shot across the bow to Jeff. What has he done to deserve this? Like he says, he did what a customer asked. I have no experience with the quality of Jeff's work, but have purchased things from Wolf and the quality was good. Wolf obviously had enough confidence in Jeff's talent to shift his business to him. I routinely turn away work that is outside my comfort zone or I see as a failure waiting to happen. That's just good business practice IMO. Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just that we should try to save the abrasive comments for those who have really f*cked up and believe me those people are out there. (e.g. Werewolf, et-al). If he took your deposit and you waited 2 years for your cage, then by all means fire away, but from what I see here all he did was build something you found unattractive and declined to accept an assignment based on unacceptable terms.

Second, I have not seen a P&P cage in person, but the bends and tube placement does not appear as tight as a SD cage IMO (just looking at the pictures). I have a SD cage and there are places where the fitment and bends are very important. For example, there is very little and uniform clearance) on the roof and sides. Any less clearance and it would probably vibrate/rub and any more clearance would look silly. It has to be precise if you want it to look right. Unless you're building a dedicated woods rig or the truck is so off that no cage is going to fit right, I'd go with SD.

FWIW, SD isn't perfect in all departments. The PC finish on mine is already peeling in places (on the top mounts of all places) I'd expect it to peel and fail on the lower cage legs where it gets abuse, but strange that it peels on the roof feet. Copious amounts of Rustoleum satin black applied whenever I see the slightest chip help, but the finish is far from bullet proof from the factory.

Lastly, consider this. If you spend $2,800 on a P&P cage as opposed to say $3,200 on a SD cage and spend an extra 8 hours getting the P&P cage to fit, what's your time (or your mechanic's time) worth. Hypothetically, 8hrs x $90/hr eats into your savings pretty quickly.
I'm not shitting on P&P products, but from what I've read on this forum and the pictures I've seen, they don't look as precise as SD. That may work for some applications, but just know what you're getting.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
First, While I may not be a fan of the aesthetics of this ladder design, this is a real unnecessary shot across the bow to Jeff. What has he done to deserve this? Like he says, he did what a customer asked. I have no experience with the quality of Jeff's work, but have purchased things from Wolf and the quality was good. Wolf obviously had enough confidence in Jeff's talent to shift his business to him. Not trying to stir the pot or anything, just that we should try to save the abrasive comments for those who have really f*cked up and believe me those people are out there. (e.g. Werewolf, et-al)

Second, I have not seen a P&P cage in person, but the bends and tube placement does not appear as tight as a SD cage IMO (just looking at the pictures). I have a SD cage and there are places where the fitment and bends are very important. For example, there is very little and uniform clearance) on the roof and sides. Any less clearance and it would probably vibrate/rub and any more clearance would look silly. It has to be precise if you want it to look right. Unless you're building a dedicated woods rig or the truck is so off that no cage is going to fit right, I'd go with SD.

FWIW, SD isn't perfect in all departments. The PC finish on mine is already peeling in places (on the top mounts of all places) I'd expect it to peel and fail on the lower cage legs where it gets abuse, but strange that it peels on the roof feet. Copious amounts of Rustoleum satin black applied whenever I see the slightest chip help, but the finish is far from bullet proof from the factory.

Lastly, consider this. If you spend $2,800 on a P&P cage as opposed to say $3,200 on a SD cage and spend an extra 8 hours getting the P&P cage to fit, what's your time (or your mechanic's time) worth. Hypothetically, 8hrs x $90/hr eats into your savings pretty quickly.
I'm not shitting on P&P products, but from what I've read on this forum and the pictures I've seen, they don't look as precise as SD. That may work for some applications, but just know what you're getting.
Well said in regards to the blow, but I guess a forum allows people to do things like such, BUT, I have been a customer of Lelo for quite a while, and his craftsmanship is second to none, and I was a customer of Wolf as well and I assure you if you are satisfied with J's work, Lelo might knock it off the park.

Now , we can argue all day for the P&P vs the SD, but the attachment points ( to frame ) on the SD leave miles to desire compared to the P&P.

Install was 8 hours with 2 knowledgeable friends
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:42 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Attachment 98006

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions... But... WOW! Not cool dood.

If you have an issues with his "design" let him know and he'll work with you. I, probably a lot of folks here, believe Jeff is a great welder/fabricator.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:46 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Now , we can argue all day for the P&P vs the SD, but the attachment points ( to frame ) on the SD leave miles to desire compared to the P&P.

That's why I was careful to say that I have not seen a P&P cage in person. You are also correct in that there is room for improvement in SD quality (like I mentioned the finish, possibly metal prep leaves something to be desired).

8-hour install? what, you mean it didn't take 42 man-hours and cost $15,000? - sorry, I couldn't resist. I figured Uncle Douglas could use a laugh as he prepares to fix his clutch slave cylinder.
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:49 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Jeff is making my roof rack and ladder right now! I am more than confident that it will be perfect!
Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:51 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post
That's why I was careful to say that I have not seen a P&P cage in person. You are also correct in that there is room for improvement in SD quality (like I mentioned the finish, possibly metal prep leaves something to be desired).

8-hour install? what, you mean it didn't take 42 man-hours and cost $15,000? - sorry, I couldn't resist. I figured Uncle Douglas could use a laugh as he prepares to fix his clutch slave cylinder.
I saw the cage on Goose's Red 110 and it looked great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Well said in regards to the blow, but I guess a forum allows people to do things like such, BUT, I have been a customer of Lelo for quite a while, and his craftsmanship is second to none, and I was a customer of Wolf as well and I assure you if you are satisfied with J's work, Lelo might knock it off the park.

Goose taking his Mate break after 8 hours of cage install...

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:55 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
The P&P cage I saw (now on Don's Blue Mule) looked beautiful.

Old July 3rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo

Registry
That is me , and it is Comandante Goose to you :-)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Tags
110, cage