Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted

Old January 25th, 2015, 02:39 PM
PabloCocito
Pablo Cocito
1987 Defender Tithonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
It's the POS motor not the transfer case ratio that is the problem!!!
Thanks Raub... I'll be over at the technical forum for advice... For now I just want to waste some money on a new tcase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 02:50 PM
BostonAndy
Andrew
Moose :: 1985 110

Registry
I've got a 1.2 behind my 200TDi and enjoy it. Nice to have some highway speed. No major issues with bogging down on a hill.
Old January 25th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay, since people don't believe... I went back and found a GPS tracklog for a trip I did in 2006. Over the Rocky mountains in the 90, with a 2.5NA, 1.4 t. case and towing a full Sankey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25NA14-90-Sankey.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	111965  

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2015, 04:15 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Will admit that I have heard of some 2.5 N/A engines that will go a little faster, but of the dozens I have driven, it was always the case 100% of the time they could barely maintain highway speeds at 55MPH.
I have never driven one, even a fresh rebuild that would go 70MPH.
That's why it is so common to swap out 2.5 engines for something that can actually get out of it's own way.
So it has been my experience that everything stated above is absolutely true.

Only Pablo will know for sure if he makes the gearing change, John.

On your trip, I can see where the extra weight of the trailer added speed when going down hill.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:33 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Mine says it will go 70, but then I checked it with gps on my phone, and it appears I'm only going about 60. I usually drive slower than that so that I won't go deaf.
Old January 25th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
I was asked for a ratio swap for a 90ty with 300tdi engine fitted.

I guess the 1,6 ratio together with a Roamer Overdrive will be a very cool combination.
Old January 25th, 2015, 08:27 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Pablo, have you tried running your numbers through Ashcroft's calculator? You can play with the configurations to get as close to an ideal 2700rpms @ 70 mph.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 25th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloCocito View Post
The engine actually runs great, it was swapped out for a reconditioned engine in 2008, no smoke, no rattles and pulls pretty good. And doesn't consume oil..
!
All tithonus trucks got a green rebuilt engine. Raub who is offering advice based on his experience also has a low mileage tithonus and has been attending events in Va for the past several years from his home in S. Florida. He's litteraly spent days drafting semi's up 95 trying to maintain 60 mph.

John a tithonus ffr 110 is a good bit heavier than a 90. They are complete dogs.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

I'm commuting on my tithonus 2.5na 30 miles one way on the Capitol beltway and I can keep 60mph by GPS most of the time. I engage the ROVERDRIVE for the whole trip and I only have to downshift to 4th one or 2 times going and a few more returning. The ROVERDRIVE doesn't allow for more speed but the sound level is much more relaxed. My average speed for the round trip is 53mph.

I'll probably swap the engine down the road but at the present I'm enjoying my Landy the way it is. I do a change in mentality and enjoy the slow ride drinking my tea and puffing on my ecig . The slow lane is not exempt of excitement! It's surprising the amount of clueless drivers that transit it. No wonder most of the crashes are originated on the slow lanes.

Returning to the LT230 I believe a 1.4 ratio is the way to go for our 110s. For our dog of an engine and for the future swap as well

Cheers
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:29 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The beltway drivers have no clue why your "jeep" is so slow compared to the others.
I would never never drive a slow ass 2.5 N/A on the beltway because it's dangerous.
Just be careful, please...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
John a tithonus ffr 110 is a good bit heavier than a 90. They are complete dogs.
I'm a good 7000 pounds with the trailer and all the gear. Not that speed on the flats has anything to do with weight. If you can't do 65 your engine is not working well or tuned right.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:39 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I'm a good 7000 pounds with the trailer and all the gear. Not that speed on the flats has anything to do with weight. If you can't do 65 your engine is not working well or tuned right.
The 2.5 N/A power to weight ratio is terrible and the engine is lethargic by anything close to modern standards.
Say whatever you want. but you'll never convince me anything different.
If it was a good performer, people wouldn't pull them on a regular basis and replace them with other engines.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Of course it is crap by modern standards. Today people expect to cruise at 80 up any hill with any load and have more power to pass. I'm just simply stating what they can do. I'm not exactly the only one around here with an ex-mod truck. There are hundreds around these parts. We've had them a lot longer than you guys.

Old January 25th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Tribe
Pablo Cocito
1987 Tithonus 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The beltway drivers have no clue why your "jeep" is so slow compared to the others.
I would never never drive a slow ass 2.5 N/A on the beltway because it's dangerous.
No, I'm sorry but it's not dangerous. I'm far from the slowest on the beltway. You are taking the subject of the 2.5 NA. out of proportions in my opinion. If you consider that the stupid speed limit is 55mph, this slow ass 2.5nad is perfectly suited for this road. Anybody bothered by my truck doing 55 is for sure exceeding the speed limit so it's them that have to be careful of slower traffic. That's how I see it when I drive my car at 70 or more, and I'm not blaming folks who do 55. It'S PERFECTLY OK IF YOU HATE THE 2.5nad but let's not exaggerate the matter.

Pablo
Old January 26th, 2015, 04:34 AM
fpdigit
Peter
1985 LR90 2.5NA

On flats, I've been able to hit and hold 65mph with my 2.5NA. However at this speed, the engine is probably hitting the governor and making a frightful whine. To preserve my hearing and the remaining health of an engine that already isn't in the best condition, I try to cruise at 60mph, which is perfectly adequate for the slow lane.

With the 2.5NA the speed is going to drop on the slightest uphill. I've developed a routine. Drop down to 4th at 50mph and when it fails to hold 45mph in 4th, turn on the hazard blinkers - I reach for the blinker switch a lot. I find myself actually looking forward to semi-congested traffic it allows me to blend in as a 'normal' car.

I feel that the 2.5NA, even a worn one, is capable of, and safe to drive at highway speeds. For the past couple of months I've used my 90 as a daily driver in the bay area with our notoriously hilly freeways (locals will be familiar with the various named 'grades' and 'passes'). In the flatter parts of the country one would do even better. Having said that, when you've got the dynamics of a fully laden dump truck, you got behave as one. Just don't be switching over 3 lanes to make an exit.

One more comment - definitely get one of those free apps for your phone that reads the speed via GPS (there's a ton of free ones out there). My speedo over-reads by 10%. So for me 65mph is 115km/h. It's useful to know where the common mph break points are on your speedo.
Old January 26th, 2015, 05:47 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Beltway would make a great training ground for Nascar...
Totally inadequate for the number of cars and speeds that people do.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 26th, 2015, 07:41 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
No, I'm sorry but it's not dangerous. I'm far from the slowest on the beltway.
He's right. I'm not even the slowest on the beltway in my S2A with a 2.25
Old January 26th, 2015, 08:55 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Of course it is crap by modern standards. Today people expect to cruise at 80 up any hill with any load and have more power to pass. I'm just simply stating what they can do. I'm not exactly the only one around here with an ex-mod truck. There are hundreds around these parts. We've had them a lot longer than you guys.
Bought my first NADA 6 cylinder 109 in 1978 and my X-MOD IIA 109 with a 2.25 diesel in 1979 which I "upgraded" to a 2.5 diesel in 1984.

Took the 109 on a trip from VA to Atlanta, GA and had to see a podiatrist when I got back home.
I actually damaged the connective tissue in my right foot from pressing the accelerator petal down.
The psychological aspect was press harder and you'll go faster.
Out of frustration from going so slow, kept pushing harder until I could barely walk in the morning after plantar fasciitis set in.

In 1988, I installed my first GM engine conversion in the 109 based on the Mercruiser 140 4 cylinder gas engine.
Around 1991 started offering engine conversions to friends.
If the 2.25 and 2.5 had not been so slow, then I would have never built so many engine conversions to make Land Rovers usable.

It's always been a love hate relationship.
Driving a MGA in high school and selling it to afford an MGTD during college.
Then after my first trip to OBX bought that first Land Rover in 1978 and have owned them ever since.
There was/is nothing like driving the beaches of Hatteris and Ocracoke Is.
And in summer of 2014, we made a trip to Portsmouth, Is with a Group of Land Rovers and are planning this years trip.

Old January 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
And in summer of 2014, we made a trip to Portsmouth, Is with a Group of Land Rovers and are planning this years trip.
Lets keep that on a "need to know basis" ie on the down low

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 26th, 2015, 09:58 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribe View Post
It'S PERFECTLY OK IF YOU HATE THE 2.5nad but let's not exaggerate the matter.
This, I think there is some misguided hate for the 2.5NA, my trucks engine cruised happily at 65 on the highway. There is the noise issue and literally having no more speed to muster but if you can get over those factors I don't consider them 'dangerous' engines. They are similar in performance to a fully laden semi and behave as such, slow up on the uptake on hills, build up speed on the downhills and cruise the flats.

If you've never driven a loaded vehicle then the prospect of sluggish pedal response makes you nervous. If you're smart and patient and can use your caution flashers and don't mind driving on the shoulder for a few hundred yards now and then the 2.5NA should get you most places

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Classifieds > Wanted